• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

RGB Scart or budget DVI?

A

alex3867

my budgets not massive but I am upgrading my DVD player with perhaps two in mind (the SONY DVPNS30 and the TOSHIBA SD-350E)

I've read reviews here and there but I can't seem to decide which one. The player is for a 17" LCD with DVI input so the question is; the tosh connected via HDMI->DVI cable or the SONY with the JS Master Scart Controller via RGB scart (my current scart's in use so this controller I would invest)

Please, any suggestions or those in experience of budget upscalers would be much appreciated. Which do you think I would get the better picture/performance with?

Many thanks in advance
Alex

JohnWH

Established Member
On a 17 inch screen the difference between scart input and DVI would propably be faily marginal, however if using scart make sure that the display is set to RGB input and not composite. If using HDMI->DVI make sure the DVI port is HDCP compliant, otherwise it might not work.

I'd question the value of a scaler on that size of screen, particularily if you're on a tight budget. Although wouldn't be surprised if some descent second hand ones start cropping up on ebay over the next few months..

John

A

alex3867

thanks John :smashin: yes, I believe the DVI-I socket is HDCP compliant. plus out of interest is DVI auto switching on the TV (i would think no but am not sure)?

I only started to consider digital interface after stumbling across a few budget players. My only inclination to make the digital move is that it would be more cost effective for me (otherwise i need scart switchers and a few new OFC quad shielded scart leads) but have never used this interface.

My decision is made difficult as I don't have the option to trial and compare the two, so if anyone else has, their ideas would be much appreciated :)

A

ancientgeek

alex3867 said:
my budgets not massive but I am upgrading my DVD player with perhaps two in mind (the SONY DVPNS30 and the TOSHIBA SD-350E)

I've read reviews here and there but I can't seem to decide which one. The player is for a 17" LCD with DVI input so the question is; the tosh connected via HDMI->DVI cable or the SONY with the JS Master Scart Controller via RGB scart (my current scart's in use so this controller I would invest)

Please, any suggestions or those in experience of budget upscalers would be much appreciated. Which do you think I would get the better picture/performance with?

Many thanks in advance
Alex

If you haven't got HDCP on the screen, consider Momitsu or similar player, which will upsample your DVDs to the actual screen resolution over DVI (eg 1280/768), whether or not it has HDCP. I don't believe mainstream players will actually upsample to DVI unless it has HDCP.

JohnWH

Established Member
alex3867 said:
thanks John :smashin: yes, I believe the DVI-I socket is HDCP compliant. plus out of interest is DVI auto switching on the TV (i would think no but am not sure)?

I only started to consider digital interface after stumbling across a few budget players. My only inclination to make the digital move is that it would be more cost effective for me (otherwise i need scart switchers and a few new OFC quad shielded scart leads) but have never used this interface.

My decision is made difficult as I don't have the option to trial and compare the two, so if anyone else has, their ideas would be much appreciated :)

Scart source will often auto switch, although you need to be careful as I've often found that sets can switch to composite input instead of the RGB one, don't know if your set will auto select DVI though.

If you can stretch to the HDMI player it may well be worth it particularily if you think you'll be upgrading to a larger set in the near future.

John.

Kalos Geros

Established Member
hmm...upscaling DVD players mostly upscale to HD-standard resolutions, not native resolutions of displays they are attached to...that's why there is a serious doubt in most AV-knowledgable people that upscaling is needed or even wanted...most LCD panels are 1388*768 pixels as are most HD-ready plasmas....the only exact match are some 1280x720 projectors so you see upscaling is not such a wild game...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom