RGB scart is better picture than component ?

B

Boldfinger

OK, I've just bought ixos component leads to replace the ixos RGB scart lead between my Panasonic TH-42PE30 plasma and Panasonic DMR-E65 DVD recorder. I thought this would offer me the best picture availabe.

However, whilst watching the matrix this evening I noticed that there was some sort of interference on a silver metallic briefcase which was on screen in the elevator bomb scene after the lobby scene, which wasn't there before with the RGB scart.

Have I set something up incorrectly or should I just switch back to RGB scart ??

Could be worth trying a different set of leads (if u can ger em swapped)......make sure all your leads are on securely to.....I heard of some systems though that actually work better via scart than component or better via component than HDMI...could be u have one of those set ups...good luck with it

Lionheart said:
Could be worth trying a different set of leads (if u can ger em swapped)......make sure all your leads are on securely to.....I heard of some systems though that actually work better via scart than component or better via component than HDMI...could be u have one of those set ups...good luck with it

Nope, everything is connected up snug. It's just my luck :rolleyes: :suicide:

ive noticed the same thing, i had my dvd player connected up via RGB and when i tried using component i get interference patterns on the screen the same as when i use a composite connection. so its back to good old RGB for me

cliveuk said:
ive noticed the same thing, i had my dvd player connected up via RGB and when i tried using component i get interference patterns on the screen the same as when i use a composite connection. so its back to good old RGB for me

Thanks for that, I was starting to fear the worst about my expensive new setup. My mind is at ease now though. I guess I'll just switch back to good old RGB too and just use the component for the Xbox 360 when it arrives ;)

Boldfinger said:
Thanks for that, I was starting to fear the worst about my expensive new setup. My mind is at ease now though. I guess I'll just switch back to good old RGB too and just use the component for the Xbox 360 when it arrives ;)

Are you sure you have enabled progressive scan on your DVD player (else you could just be getting interlaced via component)...maybe your player does a bad job at de-interlacing into progressive...

Kalos Geros said:
Are you sure you have enabled progressive scan on your DVD player (else you could just be getting interlaced via component)...maybe your player does a bad job at de-interlacing into progressive...

:confused: I did have, but was advised here to turn it off.

Stand by, I'll go and check if it makes a difference ;)

Boldfinger said:
:confused: I did have, but was advised here to turn it off.

Stand by, I'll go and check if it makes a difference ;)

OK, It would appear that my interference problem is solved.

I tried using the RGB scart but it was just the same, so I played the disc back in slo-mo and it looks like there is interference on every 2nd step.

I removed the matrix disc that I got with my new box set and replaced it with my original, stand alone matrix disc. Perfect picture. :smashin:

It also looks perfect through the component leads, with the DVD player progressive set to off :thumbsup:

It looks like I just got a bad disc with the box set :thumbsdow :mad:

Oohh, weird...the only explanation would be that the disc you got with the box is packed with other content beside film so compression was lousy in order to fit everything on the disk...you should use progressive scan with component, really...

Kalos Geros said:
Oohh, weird...the only explanation would be that the disc you got with the box is packed with other content beside film so compression was lousy in order to fit everything on the disk...you should use progressive scan with component, really...

Yeah, that's what I thought too but I was told in another thread (linked above) that my TV would handle the progressive better than my DVD player and that's what was pulling the picture left. It seemed to sort it out when I turned progressive off, so I left it off. :confused:

Kalos Geros said:
you should use progressive scan with component, really...
No you shouldn't. The Panasonic plasma TV will do it itself and do it much better than your DVD player. Leave progressive scan on your DVD player off for a better quality image.

Peabo said:
No you shouldn't. The Panasonic plasma TV will do it itself and do it much better than your DVD player. Leave progressive scan on your DVD player off for a better quality image.

Whoa, Déjà Vu :D

It's true though :D The acid test is try it yourself and let your eyes be the judge. I get a much better picture with my DVD Recorder set to interlaced component out as opposed to progressive. It just means my TV is better at de-interlacing a video signal than my DVD Recorder is.

S.

The difference is most apparrent is with motion, but it happens quite randomly so it's hard to detect; you just have to watch until it comes up! When my DVD is set to progressive, the image sometimes gets an interlaced look on the edges of objects during motion, as if the 2 interlaced fields are seperating.

When the DVD set to interlaced, my plasma handles the progressive scan and I never see this anomoly.

Yep I agree....I prefer the interlaced setting to on my dvd player....the picture is just that little bit cleaner

i'm just curious here, is there any point in using component leads here if you set your DVD player to "Interlaced" rather than "Progressive", what i mean is if the plasma itself will convert it to progressive... does it do this only if you have a component input or could it do it just as well through RGB scart ?

No component is a different system.....and should be superior....but Plasmas convert to progressive anyway so chances are it will do a better job than your dvd player...but give both ways a try and see what you think is best....if component gives a better pic for u interlaced then thats the way to go...if RGB scart gives a better picture...then why not use it :) Ps heres an interesting thread on the very same subject of progressive and interlaced http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245241

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom