1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Scart in looping through to Component out ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dlovell, Oct 13, 2004.

1. dlovell

dlovell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daft question time.

About to take the plunge and buy a Panny 42"pWD7 or maybe 6 and wnat to get some cable plastered in next week before decorators come.

Currently have a Sky+ box linked via RGB Scart to Panny E65 DVD Recoder (AV2 RGB in)
    The Panny E65 then goes out RGB via AV1 into old Tosh TV AV1 RGB in

This way I only have one scart lead going to the TV and I either choose AV2 on the E55 or switch it to Standby when I want to watch the Sky+.

As the E55 has RGB loopthru this means that I can always watch RGB on the TV (which has 3 scarts & Svideo but only one of the scarts - AV1 - has RGB).

I guess I could swap out the old Tosh CRT for the plasma tv and use a Scart RGB plug in board and continue the same way or

..and now the daft question....

the E55 DVD Recorder also has component out and optical audio out. Could I just use a component cable between the E55 and the TV and this would loop through the SKy+ signal in the same way as before or does the E55 only loop the Scart in through to the Scart out and not the component out too ? Excuse my ignorance of component connections !

Also, regardless of the answer to the above would the E55 optical audio lead also loop through the sound from the Sky+ signal to an Amp correctly. I.e if I am watching a DVD then the audio lead sends the DVD disc soundtrack but if I stop the DVD and choose the Av2 input to watch Sky+ it will then send the Sky+ sound instead to the amp. Finally, would it send nothing at all if I put it on Standby or would it still send the audio from Sky + ?

Essentially I am trying to keep the number of cables i need to run to the plasma to a minimum so if I can avoid both component AND scart that would be great.

Any help appreciated !

Dave

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    With regard to loopthrough I'm afraid the E55 only gives component signals while powered ON.

ie no loopthrough to component in standby.
    :(

3. dlovell

dlovell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply. I noticed I started calling my E65 and E55 half way thru my post ! Doesn't really matter if I need to have the E65 switched on and tuned to AV2 all the time.

Are you indicating though that I could get away with just a component lead connection from the E65 to the plasma and pipe either the Sky+ signal or the DVD signal down it depending on whether the DVD player is actually playing a disc or 'stopped' and set to AV2 ?

Regards

Dave

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    This would work but I'm not sure it's the ideal way to view Sky+ etc.
    The signal is likely to go through a certain amount of processing on its journey through the E65, which may affect quality.
    This is avoided when using the normal scart loopthrough and the machine is in standby.

Maybe someone who regularly uses the component connections can comment on the pitfalls if any?

Meanwhile, plaster as many cables in as you can to keep the options open :)

5. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I just plugged in my E85 last night and was confused for a fair old while by the component out. :confused:

It seems as if the component is connected to AV1 on the recorder in some way.

My setup has eneded up like this

NTL outputing RGB to AV2 (receiving RGB) of recorder.
    AV1 on recorder outputing 'S-VIDEO (With component)' via scart to to TV.
    COMPONENT out going from recorder to TV.

With this setup I can watch normal tv (s-video) via the scart (without powering the e85 on) and dvd's via the component.

However if you switch the output of AV1 on the recorder to 'RGB (Without Component)' the component switches to Black and White.

Therfore you CANNOT use the component out on the recorder if you are set on watching RGB tv. Unless you switch the AV1 output mode everytime you want to watch a DVD. :( :confused:

Can anyone else with an E85 confirm or prove me wrong. :lease:

Of course this dosn't stop you watching all tv and dvd through the component, but as johnjackthom said, component only works with the unit switched on, no passthrough.

:offtopic:
    As an aside, I have one of those slightly dodgy JVC HP37 tvs where the RGB is crap so i'm better off on s-video anyway.