RGB Scart? Full 21 pin?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Mitchaa, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Mitchaa

Mitchaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From reading these forums, it seems the best way to connect sky box (SD) to tv is through RGB scart for video and optical cable for sound. Is this correct?

I was in currys and pc world last night and no-one seemed to know what an RGB scart was. All they stocked were gold plated scarts at £35ish.

Is a fully wired 21 pin scart an RGB scart? Or is this a normal scart that carries both video and audio?

Where do i buy an RGB video only scart from? Or are these fully pinned scarts just the same? I take it if i buy a fully pinned scart, i wont need the optical cable?

Help:)

2. welsh-andy

welsh-andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  3. Mitchaa

Mitchaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if the fully wired 21 pin scarts are as good as the dedicated RGB video only scarts?

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

A regular 21 pin scart has cables connected to all of it's pins.

However, rgb is best sent along a coaxial cable (one for each colour) which tends to be quite bulky and thick. You can't squeeze three of these cables in with all of the other cables in a 21 pin scart otherwise the cable would be too fat. Therefore, to optimise quality in a rgb only scart, they run three decent coaxial cables (and probably a lesser cable to carry the composite video for sync).

In a fully wired scart, the red green and blue signals (and video in and out) will be sent along a mini-coaxial cable which should be OK in most cases (depends how fussy you are). That will also include audio .. so i'd be tempted to stick with a fully wired scart from a reputable manufacturer.

Do you have an optical input on your tv? The optical cable would normally be used to take digital audio to an AV-amplifier. If you don't have an optical audio input on your tv then you'll probably need a fully wired scart. If you've got an av-amp then the optical cable is fine.

Brian

5. Mitchaa

Mitchaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    From my understanding the 21pin scart is the RGB scart. The composite scart only has ~10pins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart

You need to make sure your TV has an RGB enable scart socket. My old 28" Phillips had 2 scart sockets one was RGB the other was not. This is usually the status quo of TV's with more than one Scart Socket.

The part about Optical cable, from what I have read, and is the case with my own Panasonic Sky Digital Box, it is only the Sky+ and SkyHD boxes which have an optical connection. Sky Digital just has Red/White RCA Phono.

If you have the Fully wired Scart this will also handle the phono sound (as some of the pins of the 21 total are solely sound carrying pins) so you will get stereo sound out of the Sky box and not need to connect the Red/White cables. However to get 5.1 you need to use the optical cable.

You also need to connect the optical to something that can give out the 5.1 sound such as an AV receiver. Your TV will not have an optical in cable.

Finally to get the RGB image you need to go inside Skys settings, I believe its menu and then the final tab. And set your box to output as RGB. (you will notice a very sudden major quality picture jump as soon as you do - or at least I did).

For a recommendation of a good Scart I would defintely recommend ones from Profigold and buying online. As opposed to buying the Curries cable, but you did not say which manufacturers Scart Cable curries were selling, but from my experience Curries are usually a rip off for Homecinema cables.

Hope this helps
    Anthony

7. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have set my Topfield PVR to output RGB, and my plasma to receive RGB, but thought I'd test to see what happens when I set the plasma to receive 'video', and the picture looked the same, which made me recall a post that the CABLE itself has to be RGB as well. The cable is gold plated and is 21-pin, and 'non-Currys', but I wonder if it is actually capable of transmitting RGB.

So, how can you tell if the cable you have is RGB-capable or not? Reading the wiki link, it seems that even if you have the full 21-pins:

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +348
    I think there is some confusion over this. You can still have a proper RGB signal through a fully wired (21 pin) SCART, this as you know carries audio. But you can have RGB only SCARTS which utilise the unused pins (as it is video only) for even better RGB performance than a fully wired one (in theory).

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,935
    My old Sky (SD) box did not have optical out. My Sky+ box has optical out. What have you got?

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    I didn't think they utilised the unused pins ; I thought it just cut down the chances of crosstalk as the other internal cables (present in a fully wired SCART) are not in close proximity.

Chris Muriel, Manchester