1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB/Scart Connections?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil White, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP!!
    I need to make up a scart to D plug lead to carry RGB to my new Tosh MT3. How are the 'synch' signals carried. ie. other than RGB signals and their respective grounds - which other scart pins do I connect? 'Hope someone can help I have 10 metres of horrendously pricey cable sitting here and a redundant soldeing iron!

2. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Phil,

I know with the Sony VW10HT you send the sync down the Composite video cable the Projector then strips the sync out and uses it.
    Pin 19 gives you Video out and then use 21 for the video ground.
    I dont know how to do it on HD to give vetrtical and horizontal sync.
    Can you assign the DH input to Component and Computer? If so you might be able to do it this way by using component.

[ 28-07-2001: Message edited by: Sharky ]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,
    I use the MT1, and I tried using a scart to 15dplug on the projector, but I couldnt get it to work. If your dvd player has component output (3 phono's RGB or y pb pr) I know how to wire that up as I am using a component player with my MT1 now via the 15dplug.
    Hope this helps....

4. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ninc0! My Panasonic 360 DVD has a scart carrying RGB. The Tosh booklet stipulates one horizontal and one vertical feed to seperate pins on the 15 pin D sub.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When wiring up for component, I know that the synch is carried with the "Y" signal in the y pb pr setup.
    Im afraid I dont know as regards the scart setup.
    I tried wiring up a scart as I said earlier but couldnt get it working. I'm sure there is a way though.
    By the way, how do you find the MT3?
    I love my MT1, its not the best but great quality for around £2000.
    Have you seen the new MT7?
    It's like the sony, it uses widescreen lcd panels. Costs about £4000 though!
    :D

6. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't viewed an MT7 which I'm sure is the doggies! However, I am delighted with the MT3 which I should imagine is v. similar to your MT1.

At £2,300 it seemed like great value although I would've preferred the VH10 or MT7. However, as I don't drive a Roller, my cost/benefit analysis lead me to the MT3! They'll always be better - that's life!

Now back to my RGB lead.....

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Phil: Wou'll probebly find the RGB d-sub will only take high scan rate video signals, from a PC or pro-scan DVD equipped with an RGBHV output.

You could try sending the composite to both the H and V but I doubt it would work. It only works the other way round as far as I know.

Gordon may be able to help you.

8. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul! I did think of using component video - but the MT3 designates one of the D15 pins 'horizontal' and another 'vertical'.

Anyone any ideas?!!

Also - can anyone of you bright chaps enlighten me as to which scart pins are designated for Y & C (S Video out).

9. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

To go right back to the original question. Your DVd will output either composite sync or composite video including sync via the pins detailed above. What you probably need to do to obtain Vsync and H sync to drive your projector is quite simple. The Csync or composite video can be split into Hsync and V sync using a sync stripping chip. You will need the elantec 4583 which is available from farnell electronics for about £9.00. Additionally you will need to build a power supply and solder various other components. The above chip will take the signal and split out C sync (composite sync) Hsync and V sync. You can the wire the HD15 pin up correctly.

Easiest way to find out about the elantec chip is to go to a search engine and enter in elantec 4583. You can then download the datasheet which has the circuit diagram.

Hope you get on OK. Unfortunatley Maplin dont do this chip only the elantec 4581 which does not split the V sync out only Csync and H sync.

If you have access to an oscillscope you can check the waveform to see if you get Csync or comp video when the player is in RGB mode. Have fun!

As usual the above is for information only, no responsibility accepted etc if it goes wrong.

It is easier for a unit with 5 BNc inputs as they take Hsync or Csync on one connection. so you can use the cheaper eklantec 4581. I have priced up the components for using a 4581 and including a box to put it all in it comes to circa £20.00.

Dont forget to use a turn pin DIl socket as they are much better quality. I always use sockets so I dont risk frying the chip when soldering.

10. Phil White

Phil White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mr A!

Infact I've spoken to Toshiba tech dept. who tell me that the MTS will NOT accept Video RGB as it is at a different 'synch rate' than that of computers. So I'm going to carry on with a 7' homebrew S video lead that seeems to give great results anyhow! I'm going to concentrate on building a soundproof housing for the projector (ceiling mounted) to shut that fan up! Watched 'Galaxy Quest' on DVD tonight - 6' widescreen and other than the the noisy fan I'm delighted with my MT3!