RGB Scart and Green Screen

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by uncle.rs, Jan 15, 2008.

1. uncle.rs

uncle.rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that if I use a RGB Scart lead with my PS3 thenwhen watching DVD's or Bluray then the screen will be green. If this is the case what is the point in having a RGB Scart lead just to play games, this should be a multimedia center. A DVD player can connect through an RGB why not a Ps3
    I have a 36" CRT at present looking at upgrading later this year to LCD/Plasma.
    I suppose my next question is what should I use, I have a compoant input available but that is already used by my DVD palyer.

Cheers

Uncle.rs

2. Daiw

Daiw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This was the case with the PS2, but not sure about the PS3.

Get an S-Video connection if HDMI is not available and it will be good for DVD and games

3. MarkyboyUK

MarkyboyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm afraid it does happen on the PS3 when playing DVD's and DIVX files - can't speak for blueray films though as I haven't tried any.

4. avolee

avolee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    it shouldn`t happen if the scart goes straight into the tv, it was sonys attemt at stopping dvd copying when the ps2 first launched and would happen if the scart was plugged into a video recorder or combi tv and video recorder, if the device detects a macrovision signal it implements the green screen.:thumbsup:

5. uncle.rs

uncle.rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just tried the RGB scart lead, used my PS2 one and it does indded show a green display with DVD's. The lead is plugged directly into the TV.

Very poor considering DVD players do not do this on a RGB lead.

Uncle.rs

6. avolee

avolee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    strange indeed, i thought that it was only when used passed through other devices. what resolution is it set at? is it a uk machine?

7. y2richie

y2richie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just tried my RGB scart going straight into the TV and put on a DVD. It's a green display too. Mine is a UK machine and I don't know what my resolution is set to but it's probably the default as I've never changed it. I just tried a scart cable that isn't RGB (if you get what I mean? It's a cable that has the video and audio split) and the DVD plays in full colour. I guess you know that already but just wanted to be clear.

EDIT: Current output resolution: 576i

8. avolee

avolee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    even i thought they would have sorted this out by now, but looking around the net it seems not. glad this was brought up, i was gonna buy another ps3 for the crt tv in the bedroom, glad i waited.:)

9. uncle.rs

uncle.rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS3 is a UK model bought from Dixons on line it came with the ver 2.0 update disk so it is the latest model.

Why oh Why are Sony doing this, an RGB scart is a good way of getting the signal to a CRT Tv, at present I either have a poor DVD and Game picture using the standard composite cable, or a good game picture and a green DVD/Blueray picture using the RGB cable.

If I knew this before buying the Ps3 (one day old) I think I would have waited. I want to stream video from my Pc to the PS3 but I guess this will be a poor picture as well.

So much for the PS3 being the hub of your media, It cant even do what a £30 DVD player can do (output DVD through a scart lead)

uncle.rs

10. avolee

avolee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    would it affect streaming media, might not, may just be media through the drive.

11. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    It's Sony being penis's! [​IMG]

Sony seem to have a fetish for "copy protection" on everything they make!

Old PS2 - no DVD through RGB scart, but no problem with RGB component :confused: New PS3 seems to be the same... I remember on the old fat PS2 I had I tried to copy a CD to a Minidisc using the PS2 as the "cd player" using the optical output to my hifi's optical input, which has integral MD recorder. All I got on my hifi's display was "NO COPY". Same if I tried to copy audio from a film (like a DVD films music score)

Course this was no problem using a DVD player and it's optical output. Suffice to say the PS2 got binned in favour of a DVD player (I had given up playing games on it anyway, was only keeping it as it played DVD's, and my CD player laser had died)

Sony just seem to build HDCP into everything they make for some reason..... Very annoying! Sure I guess it gives the pirates a headache, but it gives the average user who is making copies or compilations for their own personal use, aswell as those that just wanna watch a DVD in nice quality, a real headace too!

Idiot Sony! [​IMG]

12. avolee

avolee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    wasn`t there a way round this on ps2, didn`t someone bring out a dvd to change the settings, region x or something, or did that merely switch the settings to composite automatically when you put a dvd in.:confused: cant remember exactly.

13. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    The only way to get arouns it when using a scart cable is to use one with a switch. The switch turns it into a standard composite connection which should resolve the green screen issue. obviously this way you also lose picture quality.

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,750
    Its funny this has been brought up again, I first mentioned it back in December 2006 :rolleyes:

15. uncle.rs

uncle.rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have component input on my CRT so I have just ordered a Component lead and a switch box as this input is already being used. Its a shame I have to do this as the RGB input should be able to cope.

I can not see why Sony have bothered even given an RGB option if it doesnt work on DVD's and Bluray, this is not being sold as a Games machine but a full multimedia package. As far as I am concerened the PS3 does not have RGB as it clearly DOES NOT WORK.

Uncle.rs

16. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Actually it does not happen with DiVX files, they work just fine through the RGB scart connection.

17. cwjackso

cwjackso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

18. MarkyboyUK

MarkyboyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Strange...the only few DIVX files I have all play back green. I have to switch the scart switch to dvd mode (composite I guess) to get the colours back.