RGB / S-Video Question

ajbeech

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

This is puzzling me - can anyone help...

My brother just purchased a Sony DAVS-550 (multi-region). His TV is on the old side (really old and naff goodmans model) and he cannot get a colour picture if a region 1 film is played. I thought the TV was probably at fault (too old etc)

HOWEVER, around 6 months ago, I took my DVD player (Sony S325 - multi-region) to his house and we watched The Ring (Region 1) on his TV without any trouble. As far as I am aware, my DVD player does not output a PAL60 signal - its NTSC or PAL depending on the region.

I'm wondering whether the lack of an RGB output on his DAV-S550 might be the problem. Any ideas greatly appreciated - we're both pi**ed off about it (it doesn't help that I recommended it to him either :blush: )

That'll be it. RGB is neither NTSC or Pal.

Unless the TV is set-up to receive an s-video signal the picture will appear black and white.

How did you connect the dvd player to the TV?

You might consider changing the title for a better response. In case people mistakingly think it's yet another format v format thread.

In specific response:

- It could be that the TV doesn't accept NTSC and your Sony S325 was doing a straight (as opposed to Psuedo PAL i.e. PAL60) NTSC to PAL conversion? If your player has NTSC to PAL conversion capability and your player is set to output PAL, it may well have been doing the conversion. If it was set to Auto (or similar) it would as you say do straight NTSC or PAL depending on singnal.
- It could be, since you were feeding the TV successfully from your Sony S325 before, that you were feeding it RGB signals and that you need to reset the TV scart to S-Video (via TV setup menu) if the option is available. Alternatively there may be another scart that is s-video capable or possibly a din type s-video connection somewhere on the TV. Might be one on front or side with Aux connections?

HTH

Croc

The S325 was connected using a scart socket. At my house, I have it connected using an RGB signal. I seem to recall that the S325 produced a b/w image from a region 1 source when it was plugged into my brothers TV. Some fiddling around sorted it out, but I don't recall what I did! The only option on the S325 is to switch between RGB and S-Video and he doesn't seem to be able to adjust the TV to accept the correct signal.....then again, his skills with a/v equipment might be the problem. Perhaps i'd better pop over at the weekend.

... to reset the title, I think you just have to post a reply with an instruction to the mods, but I think it is more than likely that you have your answer in that the source output (in your brothers case S-vid) and the TV input don't match up. Needs to be changed in TV setup menu if doable or else find an alternative s-video input on the TV

Cheers

Croc

:confused: :suicide:
Did no one read my reply?

in case you are interested, it is the manner in which svideo is constructed as a signal that is the problem. I think (id need to check) the reason you get this problem is because in svideo the color info is carried in a modulated signal. The frequency of this modulation is different for PAL and NTSC, hence if your tv cant recognise the NTSC version, no color!

Unfortunately, there is almost nothing you can do if your tv wont see the appropriate frequency :(

ps. the distinction between this and composite is simply that the luminance and chroma signals are never actually combined in svideo

ad

Thanks Buns - your post confirms something I had read on the net last week (cant remember the url though!). The TV will definately play region 1 DVD's, but nothing will get the damned things to play in colour using the S-Video lead!

RGB will work in colour because it is not NTSC - my old TV doesn't like NTSC at all but NTSC discs work via RGB

I second MartinImber's reply, NTSC can work over RGB on non-NTSC TVs as long as the TV can handle the 60Hz refresh rate. (Just like PAL can work over YUV/Component on non-PAL TVs)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom