RGB/S-Video Convertor Picture quality

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Have you got a RGB/S-Video Transcoder? If so what is the picture quality like on your projector?
The reason I ask is, I find that more and more I use my Projector for watching live Digital broadcast's, but I find that composite tends to look a bit Ropey.
I have heard of an RGB/Componant transcoder out soon, but I cant use one of these yet, as I have no componant switching on my Amp.

Is there much of a jump in picture quality when using one of these RGB/S-Video convertors?

Cheers

Lekropacks is £50 here

RGB/Svideo £65 here

Anyone know which is the best?

I use the Lekropacks RGB to Svideo model, and find the picture quality excellent. But the built in "macro defeat" moves the image slightly to the left.

I use it to convert RGB from my NTL Digital box etc.

I use the Lekropacks RGB to Svideo model, and find the picture quality excellent. But the built in "macro defeat" moves the image slightly to the left.

Thanks Paul, I will keep that in mind.

Tim, I'm hoping to be able to answer that one by the weekend. I will be seeing a convertor in action. I'll let you know.

Guy

Which one will it be? and will it be on the Panny?

Cheers

It belongs to Retronana. He's bringing it round Saturaday to maybe trade for my old kit stand. It's the Lektropacks one.
Yep with the pj.

i use the letropacks one too and the picture is far better than i was expecting.
and there is small screw adjuster that will shift the picture over too the right a bit more, this is inside the unit itself on the pcb.
still not perfectly central bar far better than out of the box.

I have used many of the JS RGB SCART - s-video convertors, can't say I've had any problems with them. It gives a much better picture than composite, though your best long term solution will still be to get an RGB to YUV transcoder, even if you have no switching on your amp, just go direct.

I have used many of the JS RGB SCART - s-video convertors, can't say I've had any problems with them. It gives a much better picture than composite, though your best long term solution will still be to get an RGB to YUV transcoder, even if you have no switching on your amp, just go direct.

I'm affraid my componant sockets are already taken up by the dvd player.

Thanks for all your opinion's.

How about a normal phono switcher? Component goes via phono leads, and some people said that 480p is less bandwidth intensive than hidef, so you might be OK with it.

Tim

These converters are all pretty well based upon the same idea. They take the RGB signals and OR them with resisters to give you the Chroma info. Sync with Lumanance is stabalised by using a sync seperater chip LM1881 or similar devices on quality solutions or simply fed from the composite source on the cheap and cheerful. You are mostly paying for the power supply and construction.

Dual NTSC & PAL solutions cost a little more as I believe they need to switch the crystal frequency in the sync seperater after detecting NTSC.

Bottom line is that they will all probably give you a similar result subject to the converter incorporating a Sync seperater to remove jitter.

Retro

When you say the picture shifts to the Left, does that meen I will get an un'used area of screen to the right hand side?
If so I may go for the one from JS.

Thanks for the help guy's.

Tim, it'd be like the shift you get on TV's where the image is slightly off centre. You may only notice it more on a big screen, cos it's a big screen!

But, what about this - http://www.rgbtosvideo.com./rgb-vga/rgb-vga.htm ??????

Ok I know it's meant for plasma, but the set up may be suitable, maybe? I'll see what they say as the synchs etc could all be potty.:)

Tim

I have used both the lektropacs and the keene versions of the rgb-svideo convertors on my tosh 56.

Image quality from both seems to be about the same.

As people have posted the lektropacs version shifts the picture and even after adjusting it with the internal screw, was still off centre. (The picture on the screen was still there but whenever you pull up the epg or search and scan banners they were noticably to one side). The keene one did it too but not so much so i settled on that one.

sidenote for other tosh rp users

I have since found a setting in the menus that alows you to shift the horizontal and vertical position of the picture with the different screeen settings which largly gets over any picture shift problems.

OK, the gadget is fine.
The S Video pic needs the sharpness turning down to get rid of the hatching, but it now looks very 'TV' as Retronana said.
Looks way better than the composite I was using.

Haven't noticed any pic shift either. Prob is htere but I haven't noticed it.

Is the convertor worth £50+ or so, yes.
But try if you can first.

So I'd say 7 out of 10 for it only cos I'd have liked a better overall sharpness, that's all.

Thank's Guy

I just cant make my mind up on which to go for, svhs or rgb convertor, the hatching put's me of a little, I do see it now and then with svhs dvd.
I take it that hatching is another explanation for chicken wire.

No, it's a side effect of the S Video picture. Just by backing off the sharpness clears that right up.
I'll be ok as I traded my kit rack for it so didn't pay. 6 of one and half a dozen of another I'm afraid.

You can't use the vga convertor by the way for plasmas from RGB to S Video site, as our pj doesn't have a wide enough bandwidth for its use.:(

If I could get component quality at min cost I would. But at the moment the pic is ok.

Have to agree with Guy

But would add that a bit of adjustment with the sharpness and slight bit of de-focus made a fair improvment to the picture:)

I got a nice AV stand(with extra piece:confused: ) and Guy got a "more TV like picture" from his digi box.

Added bonus were Guy's Mrs makes a nice cup of coffee and my tyres didn't get slashed:eek:

Tim

In case you did not know, JS are developing a converter specially for the PJ community. It takes RGBS and converts it to component. I emailed the guys last week and was advised that the proto converter is giving great results but it will be a few weeks before it becomes available.

Beamer

I emailed JS myself a few week's ago, I may opt for the rgb/componant convertor, it is going to be pricey (£140) but I will get the use out of it, I am not sure if I could put up with the hatching Guy mentioned.
I do see this hatching with s-video dvd playback, I originally thought this was chicken wire, but maybe I was wrong :confused:

any of you concidered the ,Composite Video and S-video Scaler
TV-4000,that was talked about about a month ago,i know its £171.:eek: ,dont think its out just yet.
think ill probably try it,and use it for t.v.and satillite.

here's the link to it.

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/tv4000.htm

what do you think?

thanks carl

Codling

IMHO I think the product is flawed for use with Satellite and DVD due to the fact that is does not support RGBS input.

Carl

You could be on to something here, progressive composite and s-video, but check out the spec's, look's like you would only get full screen with ntsc on the AE100.
800x600 @ 60 Hz or 1024x768 @60Hz, this would only give you a 4:3 image in the 16:9 panel, correct?
640x480 with NTSC input, you should get 16:9 with this.

Selectable 800x600 @ 60 Hz or 1024x768 @60Hz with PAL input. Additional 640x480 with NTSC input.

yeah thought this

would you have black bars one eather side of the pic
:confused:

i think it should improve pic quality,of normal tv and satilite?
would this be right or am i way of:confused:

carl

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom