1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB-s-video converter problem - advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I've just fitted the JS RGB-Scart-to-s-video converter between my
    Panasonic Sky digibox and my AE-100 projector. To my surprise, the converted s-video image is not as good as the composite video feed: it's less well-defined and has a slight but definite horizontal ripple (especially noticeable on on-screen graphics.)

I'm using a brand-new Lektropacks s-video lead and a Scart lead from my existing stock. Tomorrow I'll try different leads, but if anyone can offer a clue to exactly where the problem might lie, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bert,

Stupid question maybe but have you set the digibox to output rgb from scart 1, (it doesn't from scart 2, only composite)

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    John, thanks for the thought. It's not at all a stupid question. Althought the setup menu doesn't specifically state that the setting applies to Scart 1 (the TV scart, right?) I'm assuming that it does. My picture settings are:

Format: 16:9
    Scart control: ON (Is this widescreen switching?)
    Video output: RGB
    Contrast: HIGH

And I am certainly using the TV Scart to connect to the converter.

Bert

4. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Bert,

I swapped my RGB to S-Video convertor with General Skanky...he using it with a Sky digi box and AE-100....

Drop Guy a line and I'm sure he will help you out :)

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bert,

The settings appear ok, the lektropaks converter has an adjustment "pot" inside it which allows you to fine-tune it, maybe that might help, if not try giving them a ring as i found their tech bloke quite helpful.

However i finally returned the unit i had as it gave a massive picture shift on my tosh tv, picture quality was alright though. and i now have the keene version.

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    A fair bit of experimentation tonight...

Firstly, I tried connecting an alternative s-video source directly to the AE-100. This gave an excellent, stable picture - so the projector's s-video circuitry is OK. I used the same s-video lead I used from the converter box - so the lead checks out, too.

Back to the digibox. I tried a different Scart-Scart lead from the Sky box to the converter - no difference: still a markedly inferior picture and the same image rippling effect.

I tried a different RGB source (an Echostar satellite receiver.) Result: the converted picture quality was a little better (though only a little) and the continuous image-rippling was still there.

I'm forced to conclude that the fault lies with my brand-new converter. I'll contact JS Technology and ask for their advice.

Retronana, I'll also take your advice and contact General Skanky. Thanks for the thought.

Bert

7. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the Letropacks rgb to s vidoe and was pleased with the results. I also had some initial instability problems going into the iScan pro and then philips hopper sv10, but I cured this by going into the menu and adjusting 'phase shift' .
    I'm intrigued by John Spicer saying the convertor has a adjustable internal pot, as my product is sealed as risk of invalidating warranty. Which is just as well as it was working fine last night but fail to work today.

8. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a JS RG-to-S-Video converter and have noticed faint 45 degree lines moving up the screen.

If you are not looking for them, they are not noticable but they are definitely there.

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Bert, I am/was planning on buying one, so please let us know how you get on.thanks.

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Bert, for some reason, messages between us are going potty.

I don't know what to tell you. All I've done is turn the sharpness right down to 0. The picture is softer, but no lines or anything to say of. Odd really. I think the finger of blame points at your convertor.

If everything else works ok, what else can it be?

As a side point, we are all awaiting the forthcoming RGB to Component convertor due very soon. Should be £100+ or so. Connects via VGA into the AE100. Then everything else should be of secondary importance. (Apart from the cost of the S Video convertor in the first place.)

(Retronana, did you ever work out what the spare shelf was for in the end?:D )

11. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    It makes a very handy TV dinner style tray for my breakfast in bed on Sunday;)

12. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Surely it will go into the component input.John already produces a RGB to VGA converter which unfortunately does not work on the Pana Proj.