1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB -> RGBHV converter problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DowNtimE, Jul 14, 2003.

1. DowNtimE

DowNtimE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a little problem with lektropacks CSR-2200 scart sync separator.

My videoprojector is a little older Sharp XG-3850E model, but it should be able to sync to 15Khz horizontal sync.

If I connect my dvdplayer through the sync separator to projectors vga input, the picture flashes, and doesn't sync correctly. I can see the dvd, but it's all messy. The light on the back of the videoprojector indicates that the sync frequency is in range, but still the picture isn't clear?

A little hard to explain, but I hope you can make something out of this. If anyone has had similar experiences, I would much appreciate any info on how to make it work.

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

It may be that the projector won't accept a 15kHz sync on the vga input or it could be that the sync voltage isn't high enough for the projector to lock onto. Another (slight) possibility is that the projector will not accept a 16: 9 aspect ratio on the vga input and there is a sync conflict so it won't lock onto the signal.

Check in the manual to see what the vga input will accept.

I'm not sure why you have to separate the sync as most display devices will accept sync on green, separate (h and v) sync or combined sync (rgbs). Your dvd player should output rgbs (or possibly rgsb)....What happens if you connect your dvd player directly to the projector via a scart (rgb) to vga cable ?

It's possible that the sync voltage is just too low. (Does your separator boost the h and v output ?) If that's the case you could buy a sync booster from Keene or Lektropacks to bring up the sync levels.

As an alternative you might want to think about purchasing a simple line doubler like the ProV / Xga Theater to feed the vga input. However you should check that the projector will produce a 16:9 on the vga input.

Brian

3. DowNtimE

DowNtimE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer.

The sync voltages should be alright, I've measured the voltage output from the vga connector and it shows 0,67 volts on sync pins.

The projector requires separate syncs when connecting to vga input. It has analog rgb input via 4 x bnc connectors, r, g, b and c-sync. But the picture looks very washed out when using this connector.

I've already contacted Cypress technology about this, and they suspected that the projector won't be able to sync to interlaced rgb with hsync range starting from 15.625Khz. Instead non-interlaced cga should work. The projector is only able to produce 640x480 vga and 800x600 svga compressed.

I'm also starting to think that line doubler is my only possibility. How much is pro-v doubler and where I could buy one? Preferably a place which ships international, as I live in Finland.

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

From what you say it seems to be that the projector isn't locking onto the 15kHz signal.

There are a number of sources for the ProV/ XGA Theater. You can get it from Lektropacks or Keene in the UK... but I'd have thought that you would be able to get one locally from a supplier similar to Keene. Another option is to look at scan.co.uk as they often have them in their "today only" section at good prices. Some of the dealers who have "banner ads" on these forums can probably supply one as well. The new model is around 150ukp with the older model going for 80-120ukp.

There has been a lot of discussion on the ProV on these forums... some good and some bad. I'd be tempted to post a question to see if anyone has had any experience with one of these devices with your particular projector.

Another more excpensive option would be to look for a second hand iScan or Quadscan on the "classified" forum or even a new iScan as they have come down in price quite a bit. A cheaper alternative if you have a PC is to use "D-Scaler" to deinterlace your dvd output thru the pc (search or ask in the htpc forum) ........ or just use a dvd drive in your pc to drive the vga output directly.

Brian

5. DowNtimE

DowNtimE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it seems that the problem is my video projector. I just ordered a multipurpose vga box from lik-sang. It upgrades component, composite or svideo input to rgbhv vga out. It also ups the output signal to 31khz hsync, so no problem there anymore. Let's just hope it does what it promises. ;)