RGB Recording on Tosh DR 1 ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lawrenso, Jan 2, 2004.

1. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Having a look at the connectors for the DR1, Scart 1 is Bi-Directional and in theory, you could record in RGB from this scart - has anybody tried it and can shoot this out of the air??

More than likely a Y split RGB would be impossible to get hold of as well though

Steve

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I should take delivery of my DR1 on 5 or 6/1/04 and will try this out but I doubt it. I did notice that AV1 is bi-directional but probably for composite only.

3. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where from and is it R2 or MR ? My mate's after one of these, seems the only -r/rw/ram recorder with progressive/component/etc ..

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is

however I would only recommend it if whatever devices are going into the dvdr can output an s-video signal

most! standard sky boxes can not. Sky+ can

cheapest MR I found was from here

dr1

£330 it can be had but r2 only for under £300

5. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers on that, forgot about them, but who's multiregion mod is it is the question ...

6. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've ordered it from Digital Direct and it's a R2. I don't really have a need for MR.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Don't forget the JVC DMR1, also ram/-RW and progressive scan.

8. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but no component video out on the DMR1 though, right ?

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes it does have componant out and progressive scan.

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
  11. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Has anybody tried this out yet - should be getting my DR 1 next week

Cheers

Steve

12. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ok here's what I've just tried.

Connected Sky AV1 RGB to DR1 AV1. DR1 connected to my TV via component. The pic on the TV looks distinctly like composite, edge definition is poor as is colour bleed. Too good to be true I think. I didn't try recording though but I'm not holding out much hope. :thumbsdow

Just need my Sky+ (21/1/04) now to try S-Video input.

I have to say though, I recorded 007 Man with the Golden Gun today and it plays back really well even from a composite source. Then again the original's a bit grainy. Auf Wiedersehen Pet tonight looked fine as well. I suppose the S-Video should sharpen it up a bit.

The most important thing is my wife thinks the PQ is good and commented without me asking. Now there's a first :rotfl:

13. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    BigRD

I have benn considering this model, so when you get upto speed with it... I would like to hear your comments good and bad

seems to have a lot going for it with Pro scan etc

14. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sure will. I'll start a new thread after my Sky+ goes in next Wed but for now here's my progress. Even recording from a composite signal is so much better than VHS. The quality from terrestrial is obviously dependant on reception. I recorded from terrestrial ITV and the playback PQ was great.

I'm currently going through a steep learning curve with it at the moment but have mastered editing out adverts on RAM discs. Have recorded 1 -R disc so far off Sky and forgot to set auto chapter creation so I've got a 1h 30 min chapter. Before finalising you also get the option to create thumbnail menus, which I think is an excellent feature.

Had a problem with -RW discs though. I bought Arita DVD-RW and when I tried to format them they fail at 37%. I tried 3 discs all with the same result. I put this down to el cheapo £10 for 10 discs so I bought some Datawrite discs at 10 for £13 ;) The first attempt was the same - failed at 37% retried and it worked. Out of 10 discs I've managed to format 9 after retrying. Phoned Toshiba about it and they say I should use the recommended Panasonic & JVC discs. I even managed to erase a program on a RAM disc by mistake by being too smart while formatting. :zonked: I thought a -RW disc was in the tray while trying to format but it wasn't and when asked if I was really sure I said yeah yeah yeah. The machine even indicates on the front what format of disc is in the tray :blush:

The Datawrite-R yellow disc worked 1st time with no probs at all.

All in all I think this machine is great.

15. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The disc compatiblity does not sound that good, trying various brands... and having to ring Toshiba up

It's kinda putting me off a bit, the last thing I want is to buy a recorder that wont playback half of my existing collection

which has many different brands -- so the scenario of buying the Tosh that wont play half of them is rather off putting

Getting a recorder with component out and progressive scan is a must for me... might hold back a while and see what further comments appear regarding the Tosh

16. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry I should have said but it has no problems whatsoever playing my other discs. I've played Bulpaq, One, Datawrite, Datasafe, TDK, Maxell all various + & - format and they all played back without a hitch. It was just the recording of the Arita 1X discs that caused the prob and they're a pretty old disc now.

If I had read the instructions properly I wouldn't have needed to phone Tosh as it states the recommended discs.:rolleyes:

If you look at some of the other threads members have been having problems with different media on the Pannys, Philips, JVC, Sony etc. e.g. DVD-R media would play on one E50 but not another. So I wouldn't let this put you off, it's a good machine with excellent build quality, component, prog scan, firewire and all connectors are gold. Only drawback is the lack of RGB in.

Any more questions please ask.

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there should be no problems playing finalised dvd-r whatever the make as these are now dvd-video

only problems maybe recording on certain bands of -r. I've not had a coaster yet

18. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The main thing holding me back is the no RGB input
    Bobbles we will just have to disagree about this, but as this topic was in the other thread recently... I dont really want to go down that avenue

I have no doubt the Tosh recorders are fine machines... but the s/vid picture on my plasma is poor

yet at the flick of a switch to RGB ..the picture snaps into action with 0% artifacts -- and is just superb

and to be honest I would be completly gutted if the recordings made with S/vid were of a similar standard on a 42" screen

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is up to you

I was only responding to your disc question

for what it is worth

on my CRT (lucky sod) there is very little difference between s-video and rgb. If pushed i would say rgb is better but only on menus

however, 3hr recording on rgb with E30 and 3hr s-video recording on Tosh there is a huge difference.

What it is like on a plasma I can not tell you

20. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ah ha!! now I understand. :clap:

I'm viewing on a 32" CRT so S-Video is fine on that for the purpose that I want. I too would like to have had recordable RGB (especially if I owned a plasma) but I wanted a Prog Scan machine now and that was one of my main drivers in buying this one recordability was just a bonus.

BTW I bought a pack of 3 TDK -RW and they formatted without even a sniffle so it looks like it's down to dye type and manufacturer.

100% on cheap Datawrite yellow DVD-Rs so far, only done 2:D

21. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    huge difference ie -- meaning the Tosh is hugely better??

22. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imo yes the pq is better on the huge to me, very subjective

others have said there isnt much difference between composite and rgb so ....

23. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I take it you still meant that the Tosh is better in S-Vid than the E30 in RGB.

I've recorded 4 Datawrite yellow DVD-Rs of Divx movies from my Xbox via S-Vid and the PQ is pretty good, thumbnail chapters too. Get my Sky+ next Wed so should see a big improvement on the current composite setup. :)

24. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well I have gone against my judgement and ordered the DR1 multiregion for the PRO/SCAN and the recording.. but the jury is out on the Lack of RGB

so Will be reporting back my thoughts when it arrives. funnily enough I have a number of Panasonic E30 ram recordings here at the moment. so I will be able to do a side by side comparison as the the recording abiltys of both these recorders

25. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Where can I download an online manual... on the Toshiba site there seems to be manuals for everything bar recorders ???

26. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Manuals here

27. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    better on the huge:) :blush:

yes it should have read better on the tosh

sort of but now quite

If you are recording to archive then if and until blue-ray archiving on XP is impracticle due to storage etc. There also is not much point recording sky's compressed data stream in XP.

So since you are recording at a lower bit rate recording an rgb signal or an s-video really makes no difference.

28. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My DR1 will mainly be used as a player, which it is very very good at. Compared to my old Samsung 709 it's just so sharp & colourful and the depth to the image is great :smashin:

As I mentioned before recordability was just a bonus. I didn't record that often in the past but that may be due to the PQ of VHS. I'll probably use it to archive things like The Simpsons to DVD-R via the DR-1 then PC. I'll try and fit 3/4 episodes per disc and that sort of thing. SP mode should be more than adequate for that and as you've said before the Digi broadcasts have been heavily compressed already that RGB/S-Vid really shouldn't be an issue other than the when it comes down to the ability of the recorder.

So far I've recorded some HQ Divx files to -R via my Xbox and they've come out really well. Far far better than anything on VHS.

I personally can't wait for BluRay to appear in an affordable retail box so until it does my DR1 will be ideal for my purposes.

Off air recording from terrestrial is very good especially BBC1 - no adverts :D . Lucky I've got a good reception and made myself a decent DR1 to TV coaxial lead.