RGB recording from 2 sources

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bowler, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Panasonic E85 DVD recorder.

I also have an NTL cable box and a Freeview box each with one RGB output.

Is it possible to record either RGB source whilst watching the other RGB source?

If so, what would the set up be?

Thanks.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If your TV has only one RGB then the only way is to use a SCARt switch box (auto or manual). Search all forums for info on these as there has been several posts covering most, if not all types of switch boxes.

Your only other alternative is to record off ntl using RGB and have freeview in a another scart on your TV and watch via S-Video (if your freeview box outputs it) or composite.

My set up is...

NTL (RGB) > Panasonic E100 (HDD recorder) AV2 > Auto SCART switch (Quintro)> > TV (AV1 RGB)

Freeview (RGB) > Auto SCART switch (Quintro) > TV (AV1 RGB)

And teh same Freeview stb (second scart)...

Freeview(S-Video) > Panasonic E100 (HDD recorder) AV4

So i can record to the Pan E100 off NTL in RGB and Freeview in s-video but watch BOTH in RGB.

3. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kevo,

Thanks for replying.

What are your E100 settings to make all this work?

I only have one RGB scart on my screen but I also have component.

No svideo from the second scart on NTL or Freeview though.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    AFAIK the connection settings on the E100 are the same as teh E95 except the E100 doesn't have component out.

In teh E95 settings just select RGB for Av1 and AV2 and also set to 'Normal' and NOT 'Decoder'.

By all means use component too as this should give you the best picture (from DVD at least anyway).

You'll have to use a SCART to composite lead from the Freeview to AV4 on the E95.
    This will allow you to record in composite only from Freeview.

Ask yourself if you really need to record in RGB from both, as this will mean the addition of a SCART switch box and you would have to keep making sure that the right one is selected from which you wanted to record.
    Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle.
    Use a SCART switch for RGB output like I do in which case whilst you are recording off NTL in RGB you can still watch Freevuew in RGB.

5. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Kevo.

6. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kevo,

With your set up can you watch NTL RGB and record Freeview at the same time?

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    AHA, good question....

No, as the Pan recorder will be switched to AV4 in order to record Freeview (in s-video) which means no RGB passthru from NTL via AV2.

However.... I have more SCART in my armoury which allows me to watch NTL Cable in s-video bypassing the recorder. The cabling here gets really complicated so I won't go into detail here.

In your case you can use the spare scart from the 'VCR Scart' on the NTL and bypass the Pan recorder and go straight to the TV (or via a VCR).

This will give you composite only NTL, but it's only used as a last resort when you can't access AV2 on the Pan Recorder and want to watch cable.

I even have to use this 'SCART bypass' method when i'm dubbing from HDD to DVD but this has been sorted on the newer recorders (like yours) where you can 'hide' the dubbing screen and access AV2 again.