1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB question.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dazzlew, Jul 22, 2002.

1. dazzlew

dazzlew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got my DVD, amp, SKY and vcd in a cupboard under my Philips 32pw6006 tv.

In the cupboard is the fusebox, i'm getting a very poor picture through both RGB and svhs.

Is this causing my problems? Or have i got a bad set, noting that other members have had problems with RGB on this philips?

Tx..

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the cupboard is properly ventilated!

Seeing as you are getting a poor picture on RGB and S-Video, try some new high-quality scart cables, e.g. Ixos 126AV. That might help.

You might also want to post a full description of what you mean by "very poor picture" as that could mean many things ;)

3. dazzlew

dazzlew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Squirrel God..

Well i keep the cupboard open at all times, so as i can operate the SKY box..The amp and DVD player are coming out at the weekend and being placed on a stand next to TV.

I would like to put the SKY box on this stand also but i'm limited by the amount of cable from the dish. Is there a way round this..

I'm using a JVC scart (JVC J126) bought from Currys - don't know if its any good. It is a flat Ribbon type, like a ATA computer cable, with GOLD blocks.

RGB socket is connected..as such..

Cyberhome AD512DVD (JVC J126 scart)--> Grundig DigiBox --> (ASDA gold scart) --> TV..RGB selected on both DVD and SKY, and scart control selected on the Digibox.

The picture from RGB is very dark, although the colours are very rich, particular Reds and Blues. An increase in the brightness level from the TV (past 60) results in a ghosting of the image, causing blacks to fade to gray. This is only across the middle portion of the screen.

The picture from SVHS is grainy but much brighter than RGB. I think it is worse than the PAL image

The PAL image is ok. Maybee the colours are a bit on the soft side and not quite as detailed as RGB. Though it is perfectly watchable, just not very TV-FI!

This happens with both my Cyberhome AD512 DVD and Grunding Sky Digi box. OK with PAL, not watchable with RGB..

So if i get a 2 totally screened cables i may be okay?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try plugging the DVD player directly into the TV using the JVC scart lead - notice an improvement?

5. dazzlew

dazzlew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Picture is still dark when going direct from DVD to TV.

I'm going to have a play with the RGB strengths in the engineers menu to see if i can get a brighter picture..

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,216
    with a RGB input on the Tv, u will not be able to adjust the brightness/contrast etc, as RGB is "pure".

7. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You should be able to adjust contrast and brightness properly, if not it is a poorly designed set.

In some sets it is not possible to adjust, simply because they use cheap low-end components and add extra functionality through tricks. One trick is to send SCART RGB through the OSD/Teletext RGB path. This path often bypasses brightness and contrast adjustment, as the OSD contrast is supposed to be adjusted by the OSD controller, and the brightness is not cared about at all.

You can tell if the TV was designed to use this trick by checking the on-screen menus - if the text merges with the picture instead of being in front of it, the TV uses the OSD path for RGB. You can also tell by switching to Teletext when in RGB mode (if possible) - if the actual picture still shows through the empty Teletext screen or flickers across it, the trick is used.

Saturation is usually not adjustable on 50Hz sets, but might be on 100Hz sets. This is because of the different internal processing. On the other hand, 100Hz sets do not have as high color resolution through RGB as 50Hz sets, as 100Hz processing is almost always designed to cut corners and reduce colors to ultra-low resolution to minimize memory costs. With a 50Hz set, you can get much sharper colors through RGB.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm afraid the "dark" RGB is a well known feature/fault of the Philips 6006 TV. Do a search on these forums and you will see maany people have had this problem with this particular set. Not sure if there is any fix but do a search and see what it brings up.

9. dazzlew

dazzlew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Set is being returned tomorrow. fingers crossed for the replacement being okay..

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to say it, but it probably won't be I'm afraid. You'd probably have better luck if you changed your DVD player - not that I'm suggesting you should do this as I think it's unreasonable, but some people report better results with different combinations of equipment.

I seem to recall somebody contacting Philips about this (or another model) and being told that they should use a Philips DVD player...:eek: but I could be wrong.....

Good luck anyway - you can always go for another model/brand if it does turn out that you have the same problem after all ;)

11. dazzlew

dazzlew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If the problem is there on the replacement I can try another DVD player with the new TV when it arrives.

Granted my Cyberhome is a bit of a cheapie, but it has performed well enough on my old Bush 4:3 TV through RGB scart..