RGB quality

davee b

Established Member
Reaction score
Didnt know if i should put this in tv section but here goes. i've just realised that my ntl stb has been outputting composite rather than RGB for years (although the quality is good IMO).

i've changed to RGB output and to be honest the quality looks exactly the same except the image is slightly zoomed in, in appearance so about 10% less of the picture is in shot and the image entirely fills the screen with no black borders. the stb output is 4:3 into a 4:3 tv thru the tv's RGB enabled scart.

is this normal for rgb to a) appear bigger and b) look no better on a >5 year old tv.

:rolleyes:

Mine doesn't do this, but quality on my 5 year old 4:3 Beko is no better, it doesn't have RGB input. Sync is on composite, so you still get a picture.

Originally posted by MAW
Mine doesn't do this, but quality on my 5 year old 4:3 Beko is no better, it doesn't have RGB input. Sync is on composite, so you still get a picture.

As my TV does have RGB in i was expecting some improvement over composite even though the TV is by no means new. :confused:

You've covered the obvious, like making sure RGB is enabled on the TV if necessary, and you are connected to the right socket, using a real fully wired scart lead, and if the tv is any size you'd see an improvement with a quality scart lead. The plug is so poor that it takes engineering to make one that works well. As a custom installer, scart is a dream come true, you can demonstrate the necessity for good cables in 10 seconds.

The difference between rgb & composite on my NTL box is dramatically obvious. The menus are much sharper and colourful on rgb.

If you cannot perceive the difference then you may not be actually comparing rgb to composite.

How do you get RGB output on the NTL box?

Mine only has the option of S-video and compsoite in the settings manual?

If yours does s-video it won't do rgb. And yes, either of these is very much better than composite when working, you should see a big difference, more natural colours, smoother picture etc.

Originally posted by StevieDvd
The difference between rgb & composite on my NTL box is dramatically obvious. The menus are much sharper and colourful on rgb.

If you cannot perceive the difference then you may not be actually comparing rgb to composite.

I'm pretty sure the scart cable is fully wired, so must be a duff input on the tv then. another good argument in the case i'm making with my better half for a new tv :smoke:

If mine wont do RGB because it has S-Video are you tellling me there are different NTL boxes out there?

I thought they were all the same? Certainly according to the PACE webiste they are!

Yes there are different ones, and there is one that has s-video instead of RGB. I have seen one before, in East Sheen, as a point of interest. It might have been Telewest come to think of it, but the hardware is the same.

The Telewest one explains it..the ex telewest boxes are different from the standard NTL digi box...and better by the sound of it!

Originally posted by scrapbook
How do you get RGB output on the NTL box?

Mine only has the option of S-video and compsoite in the settings manual?
The manual for mine says that as well, but when you actually go into the on screen menu the choice is comp or RGB.

I spoke to PACE about this.

They seem to think some of the orignal boxes had s-vid rather than RGB. Strange as I have just had my orginal box replaced due to a failure!

An email to NTL is required me thinks for clarification!

PS
Wouldn't it be nice if NTL had a sky+ type service!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom