RGB problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dr.Rock, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Pioneer 444, and am trying to connect via RGB. My Toshiba 33-inch TV has a 4:3 socket and I have set the video output on the DVD player as RGB.

The problem is I don't get a good picture with RGB, and S-Video comes connection comes out better on my setup (even though RGB is supposed to be better picture quality than S-video). On RGB, I find the colours appear dull and faded. The black bars you get for a widescreen film look grey and not black. Also, the picture is slightly enlarged and I lose some of it off the left-hand side of the screen. I don't get this problem with S-Video connection. tested this using Region-2 films, so there isn't any incompatibility problems with the film and TV.

I am using gold-plated Scart cable.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    make sure your TV is set to use the RGB input, or that the SCART socket you're using supports RGB.

The black bars should be black, and not gray, as RGB is a pure signal.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is fairly well docemented elsewhere that the older Toshiba models don't always have a very good RGB picture and often look better using s-video (which is of a high standard on those models).

4. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    test message - please ignore

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My TV Scart socket does support RGB, I don't think it can be set manually so it must be automatic. Might it be the wrong type of Scart lead I'm using? So all Scart leads support RGB or does it HAVE to be full 21-pin to 21-pin? The lead I bought was JVC gold-plated ribbon lead for £16, but didn't state if it was 21-pin on the box.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the ends of the scart if there are 21 pins there they should all be connected........therefore should carry the RGB signal.......if still in doubt unscrew at the neck of the scart and take a look at the pins inside and make sure they are all connected.........if they are it is doubtful it is your scart thats causing you problems and i would tend to go with doubledoom's explaination.........

7. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the same problem with my old Tosh 28inch. As mentioned previously these older TVs are crap at handling RGB. Your best bet is to switch the DVD to Scart2 (possibly 3 on your 33") on the TV and set this scart to S-Video using the TV menu
    Alterantively you could get a S-video lead and connect the TV and DVD direct with this.

8. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks JimM.

So what's supposed to give a better picture? Using S-Video lead or to use Scart (with TV side set to S-Video input) ?

Thanks,

Sarmad.

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart carrying s-video would be the most simple option and there will be no difference between scart and s-video lead with regards to signal quality, subject to the quality of the lead itself.

10. CrunchyB

CrunchyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, RGB requires almost all connectors to be attached. You can't always see this from the outside, sometimes the pins aren't connected, but a reasonably expensive gold plated SCART cable like yours is most likely RGB.
    However, are you using the RGB SCART socket on your TV? Just checking, but you know that a socket can't support both S-Video and RGB, right?

11. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, the Scart socket I'm using is RGB compatible. There is no manual setting needed to make it RGB mode.