RGB Problem - lack of blue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonjonjon, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but you all seem fairly knowledgable on all aspects of AV so I thought I'd try here first.

I have a Panasonic dmreh60d and a Sony 32fx60 TV. Everything is set to rgb, on the dvd, tv and Pace sky box.

I have also bought 2 new ixos scarts to connect above equipment.

The problem - when the dvd is in standby I get a perfect rgb picture, However when I power on the dvd I can only see reds and greens(frrom sky av2). However If I wait for about 3 minutes, and don't touch anything (Ie wiggle leads etc) the blue mysteriously appears. However sometimes the blue will disappear for about a 1 min at anytime. If I'm recording from the sky box (av2) then if the blue goes the recordded picture will show this.

The tv has been on for over an hour and the sky box is always on.

I don't understand that when the Pana 60d is in standby, the loop through rgb works fine, but when you power it on it takes about 3-5 mins for the rgb to work.

Any ideas.

I've tried the simple stuff, replacing scarts, making sure they're all snuggly fitted.

Should I be snipping pin 8 on my scart, is it a sky problem, tv or a Pana problem?

Jon

2. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some more info.

if the pana 60d is turned on after being off for more than half an hour, it takes approx 3 mins for the rgb to be working 100%.

If the pana has been left of for about 1-5 mins, the rgb problem only exits for about 30 secs.

And if the pana has been shut off for about 10-20mins, it takes about 1-2 mins for the rgb pprroblem to cure itself.

So this is obviuosly some sort of heat thingy.

Any ideas?

Jon

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hvae you checked the Video input and output are set to RGB?
    Pass-through in power off is OK because the scart in and out pins are just connected straight through.
    As soon as you turn the power on the recorders internal processing takes over, so you must have your Video in and out both set to RGB.

4. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep Sky box is outputting RGB, Pana AV1 RGB, and AV2 is et to RGB.

See my second post, the length of the rgb problem is directly proportionate to the length of time the panasoinic has been off.

5. gearguy

gearguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possible capacitor problem on a blue line somewhere?

6. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    v.poor, although I can see where you're coming from. ;)

My guess would be as things get warmer they expand (or do they contract), and as the panasonic gets warmer, after being switched on for about 3mins, a connector has expanded and bridged a poor connection. :lesson: :confused: :smashin: :thumbsdow

7. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

8. gearguy

gearguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cold solder joint; my hp pavilion monitor has a cold solder on the image controls that adjust the blue so my screen is pretty much all blue and sometimes flickers to normal colours :eek: