RGB Problem (DVD Recorder, Digital Box)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Seb1, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've managed to get my Sony digital box and Panasonic E55 DVD recorder to both output in RGB when being used, however when I turn the DVD recorder off, digital it is no longer in RGB. If I turn the TV off and turn in back on then digital is in RGB again!

How can a stop this? There are so many different combinations of settings to change, plus I don't know what half of them are. I think its something to do with 'Scart Control'. I'm not sure if I should be changing a setting on the TV, Digital or DVD Recorder..

My TV is a Panasonic with one RGB (AV1) scart. The RGB cable is connected between the TV and Sony freeview box.

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The best way to connect your system is Sony RGB Scart to AV2 on E55 then AV1 E55 to the RGB Scart of your TV.

I don't know the details of your Sony digibox but generally digiboxes have a VCR output, these will have no RGB out but do have RGB in which means that both the E55 and digibox output in RGB but you can only record in composite, a big minus.

Connecting as suggested means that everything will be RGB, to record from Sky just press record with AV2 selected. The only downside is that you can't record from the analogue RF on the E55 while watching the Sky digibox.

Connecting the way you are should work in terms of RGB outputs, but since you are having problems I would think its something to do with RGB blanking auto selecting via pin 16 of the Scart. On your TV you can probably work through the menu to force RGB. Pressing TV then Sky on the digibox remote may also recover the RGB mode.

3. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been looking at options for connecting Freeview box to DVD/HDD recorder (currently favour the Pioneer 420). problem is I can see that connecting the Freeview RGB scart to recorder will allow rgb all through, but don't you lose the advantage of being able to use Smartlink so that recorder is triggered by the Freeview box? So far I'm not aware of any Freeview box which has rgb on the av2/vcr output even if this output has Smartlink. Still presumably the quality of Freeview broadcasts is such that S-video is adequate for recordings as good as orginal? I'm looking at the Pioneer and Sony freeview boxes, both of which I think allow S-video out on the vcr scart. Any comments please?

Thanks,

Adrian

4. captainhook

captainhook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently been round and round in circles with this same problem. I have a Sony digibox, and a Sony DVD recorder. Both are "smartlink" compatible, the Digibox has an RGB output, and the DVD recorder an RGB input. The "smartlink" function is supposed to start the DVD recording, and even transfer program names to the recorder.

Fantastic, I thought. Sadly, it's exactly as bobcar states. The digibox only outputs the correct smartlink signals for recording from it's VCR scart socket. Only it's TV scart socket has an RGB output. The DVD recorder disables smartlink functionality on it's RGB input scart, when RGB is selected.

I have now connected my Digibox TV scart to the RGB input scart on my DVD recorder, and get supurb quality recordings. The smartlink function is then not connected.

I tried briefly making an adapter bodge to try bringing the smartlink pins from the Digibox VCR scart into the DVD recorder scart, cutting those from the Digibox TV scart, but no luck because of the software in the DVD recorder disabling it.

I don't know any of the technical details about "smartlink", or much about RGB signals, but have a hunch that RGB uses one of the smartlink pins for sync, so if you have an RGB scart, smartlink no longer works... I may be wrong, please correct me if anyone knows more!

A seperate function that the DVD recorder has is "Syncro Record" This has nothing to do with "smartlink", and is simply a function that, when activated, starts the DVD recording when a video signal is detected on a selected scart input. This is a mixed blessing (as eddyad says in the post "set box control") but works.

It's a shame the smartlink facility doesn't work, but the picture quality is more important to me.

5. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I suspected about the vcr scart. But on the Sony digibox isn't it at least capable of s-video output? Have you tried this or are you recording the composite signal only? Such a shame though to have to feed a hdd/dvd recorder anything less than the best signal available - in that sense leaves us stuck in vhs territory!
    Adrian

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Captainhook, see my post yesterday "problems recording sky personal planner." With the connections I show there I have the choice of auto recording sky personal planner(non rgb) on dvdr AV2 and "manual timer" recording sky personal planner (rgb) on dvdr AV1.
    As I say over there, this has caused a small problem in that my tv's sky AV1 is overridden by dvdr playback until i turn the dvdr off.
    But otherwise it seems a good solution.