1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Picture Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by shaunoc1, Nov 4, 2001.

1. shaunoc1

shaunoc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I own Sanyo 28 WN4 widescreen tv and a Sony DVP 535 dvd player. I've been having problem getting a good RGB picture from the television...

I'm using a scart connection between the two, but when I switch the DVD output from video to RGB, the screen goes very dark. The picture itself is visible, and solid, but very dim. It's not a problem with the DVD player, as I get the same result when I switch my Sky Digital box to an RGB output. I also know that only one of the SCART inputs on the tv are RGB compatible, but it's definitely the one I'm using. Also, adjusting the brightness levels on the tv make no difference...

I used to own a Phillips 4:3 and that produced a bright, clean RGB signal. So is this just the basic RGB output from Sanyo televisions? Can it be changed through the service menu, and if so, how can you access it?

Many thanks to anybody who replies,

Shaun O Connor

2. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You are not alone.

This problem is not very common it seems, if we go by posts to forums, however it is also mentioned on www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk

I have an excellent though 4:3 Panasonic TX28W3 TV set which exhibits dark RGB pictures. The brightness and contrast settings do help a bit, though it doesn't seem right having to increase these, especially when RGB is supposed to be bolder than RGB.

So, I still watch DVDs in composite. If you find a solution, please email me at dmudan@hotmail.com

I may try to access the TV Service menu and see what I can adjust to effect!

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if RGB is out of the question, then next best option is s-video (via scart if possible).

Composite should be the last option.

4. mitch316

mitch316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a 4.3 mitsubishi that did exactly the same thing.the picture was very good but very dark i ended up changing my t.v because of it.

5. shaunoc1

shaunoc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies,

I can't believe that other tv's have this problem too. What could be causing it?

Anyway, I still haven't found a solution. I can't find how to get the Sanyo service menu anywhere either.

So, I'm using S-Video now. The picture is very good, but not as good as pure RGB.

This is getting annoying and expensive; the last tv I had, a Phillips, would not play back an NTSC signal, and therefore, R1 discs.

Is there any brand of television that offers catch-free, R1 and R2 playback with no RGB problems?

Thanks,

Shaun