1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB phase problem through digibox: help!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by harveyw, Sep 6, 2005.

1. harveyw

harveyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I'm new to the forum; looks great, and just the kind of place that might have a solution to my problem. Apologies if it's been answered elsewhere, or comes across as a little simplistic.
    I've recently purchased a DVD recorder, and have just tried wiring it up via RGB scart leads to a Sky digibox, feeding the DVD recorder's RGB output through the digibox. This results in the signal from the recorder (via the digibox) being phase-inverted. Yet if I use non-RGB leads, or feed the DVD direct to the tv via RGB, the signal is fine. Also, the RGB signal from the digibox is fine.
    Any ideas? A problem with the DVD machine? The digibox? The leads (I've tried a variety, all with the same result...)? Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's a bit hard to go on, since you haven't given any model numbers :)

3. harveyw

harveyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I need to give model numbers? OK, it's a Panasonic DMR EH50 recorder and a grundig DV3 digibox.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I've recently purchased a DVD recorder, and have just tried wiring it up via RGB scart leads to a Sky digibox, feeding the DVD recorder's RGB output through the digibox

Don't you mean feeding the Sky digibox's RGB output through the DVD recorder?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That confused me too :suicide:

6. harveyw

harveyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for these responses; they would seem to make sense. However, the DVD recorder has one scart I/O, and one scart "input only". I'm using the scart "input only" as a VHS feed to the DVD for archiving old tapes, which leaves only the I/O for the digibox. Which is why the DVD scart I/O has to be routed through the digibox (and from there to the tv).
    Using a non-RGB scart lead from the digibox output to the tv also seems to solve the problem, and I could use the S-video socket to connect the digibox out to the DVD in, but both these solutions rather defeat the object.
    I guess I'm trying to do something which maybe you're not supposed to do.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    The DVD recorder also has composite and S-video inputs - you should use one of these (with an appropriate lead) to connect up your VCR for archiving old tapes.

This would leave the SCARTS free for use with the digibox - connect the Digibox TV SCART to the INPUT only SCART on the DVD recorder, and the DVD recorder I/O SCART to the TV's RGB SCART (use fully wired SCART leads, or leads you know to be RGB capable - not all are)
    This will enable you to record from the digibox to DVD using RGB (desirable).
    If your TV has a component input, you could use the DVD recorder's component output and maybe get progressive scan too (possibly even better, but it depends on several things).

VCRs always use composite video, unless they are S-VHS machines, in which case it's S-video - they don't use RGB, so don't waste an RGB capable input socket.

8. harveyw

harveyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly the answer I was looking for; many thanks.