RGB output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by js1, Jun 21, 2004.

1. js1

js1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie and thinking of buying a recorder with a hard disk . The Toshiba RD XS530 seems reasonable but it mentions the lack of RGB as being a downside. For someone who is new to this could someone explain as simply as possible what the issues are with this and if I ordered one how you would get round the problem if yoiu wanted to record from Sky? Maybe I should pay a bit extra for the new XS32?

thanks for any help

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It's all about video quality - the better the source the better the recording. There are generally three standards for video - Composite, S-Video and R(ed) (G)reen and (Blue) or RGB.

Composite uses a single connection to carry all the video data and therefore is the lowest quality (but still acceptable).

S-Video uses two connections to carry a dual split video data signal and therefore is of medium quality (noticeably better then composite)

RGB uses three connectors to carry a three way video split - red, green and blue and is the best quality of the three but not a huge jump from S-Video IMHO.

So connect all your devices using the best methods possible - but recording from SKY with 'only' S-Video IMO is more then good enough considering the poor Sky PQ (due to digital compression) in the first place.

3. js1

js1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Have to disagree with that in the strongest possible terms. Whilst it is true that the Sky picture is poor, it is very important to note it is poor for very different reasons than signal transmission. Sky PQ is awful because it uses such a low bitrate and thus introduces digital artifacts (MPEG2 blocking, pixel smearing etc). S-Video is poorer than RGB because colour contrast and other aspects cannot be conveyed so well. Thus by using S-Video over RGB you are simply accepting the worst of both worlds as opposed to the best of the worst if you see what I mean.

Of course it depends on many factors - even on a high end system it is easy to loose the RGB advantage. And even some high end equipment needs to be carefully configured to make the most from an RGB picture. But (with a handful of exceptions) on a properly setup system, with high end wiring etc then RGB will always be superior.

Certainly the S-Video output on the Sky+ boxes (V1 and V2) is extremely poor. If you must use S-Video the best option is a high-end RGB-to-S-Video converter. But it will never be better than RGB unless you have equipment that is particularly poor at RGB handling.

5. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Rasczak - I didn't say that S-Video was better than RGB - as it obviously isn't (and I agree with all your statements). What I said is that it is more then good enough for 'less then perfect' sources - be it Sky, Analogue Camcorder or whatever.

So to summarise - and again in my opinion, I do not think it is worth 'removing DVD recorders from your shortlist' just because they don't have RGB in - great if they do, not the end of the world if they don't. That is what the original poster wanted to know - not 'what is best' as it's clearly RGB.