RGB Output to non-RGB TV

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by breszh, Jun 4, 2004.

1. breszh

breszh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm new to all this HC stuff but wanted an all in one sound system for music and DVD playback so I bought myself a Sony DAVSA30.

However, Having unpacked and set it all up I have realised that my TV (old Philips 21") cannot accept an RGB signal and the DVD player only outputs RGB. The TV does have an S-Video port on it and the Yellow, Red, White connectors (RCA??) on it.

So my question, is there a cable/connector that will change the signal from RGB to work with the S-Video/RCA connections i.e. change the RGB signal to something different that will work with my TV?

I'm gonna have a lot of explaining to the missus if this isn't possible!

Thanks in advance.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately the DAVSA30 doesn't output s-video and I presume that if your TV won't accept an RGM signal it must be quite old.

You can't change one type of signal to another cheaply but both your TV and DAVS will work with a composite signal (through the scart socket) so all is not lost. This type of signal is by far the poorest and the quality level from your DVDs will be akin to VHS tapes.

Bearing in mind that a widescreen film on DVD will have a tiny picture on a 21" 4:3 television, perhaps it's time to start thinking about a larger widescreen television.

3. breszh

breszh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Ian.

I've been watching widscreen films on it for a while and it is pants but trying to convince Mrs Breszh that we need a new TV is a chore! Just buying the DAVS unit took some work, then I make a schoolboy error, ahh!

Am I right in thinking then that I should just connect the two via Scart and I'll get a picture, just a poor one?

I'd not connected them last night as I didn't have a spare scart lead but when I read in the manual that the DAVS only outputs RGB my heart sank! I was going to pop into Maplins at lunchtime and pick up a new scart lead.

Not sure if this should be in the cables area now, please feel free to move if required.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A scart lead should be fine. I don't know how the DAV works but you may have to go into one of the menus to tell it to output a composite signal as it may default to RGB

5. breszh

breszh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, thanks a lot Ian, especially for the promptness of the reply.