RGB output over SCART results in only red component. SD360E defective?

A

AsGF2MX

I have a Toshiba SD360E connected to a Samsung SP47W3HF via RGB SCART. The player initially put out a green tint but a quick reconnection of the SCART cable resulted in that being resolved and 2 full DVDs being viewed without issue. However, after 2 days of leaving the player alone, I am now seeing the player outputting only the red component and no other colors.

Does this imply defective player? The sky+ box outputting RGB seems to work fine over the 2 SCART cables I have. The player displays a normal image if any other image mode is picked (P-SCan, Composite, etc).

Does this imply defective player?
Its possible.....but first step would be to prove(without doubt)that your scart cable is not at fault.
After you have done this you can move onto other possible causes.

I have tested both the SCART cables on the sky+ box and I can confirm that the sky+ box is outputting RGB not composite (the PAL option). Also I hooked up the SCART cables to the two RGB SCART sockets on the TV and used the Sky box in RGB mode. All of which showed the picture clearly.

For good measure I also connected the SD360E to another TV (Goodmans but I forgot the model) also in RGB mode (again using the two SCART cables I have) which resulted again in only the red component being present on screen in RGB mode.

What should I do next? (Also, forgot to mention...the red component is not specific to any DVD as it shows the red component even when just displaying the menu)

Anyone? I bought the unit from amazon.co.uk and haven't registered it yet with Toshiba...any advice?

As you have tried everything I would have, I would assume the player is faulty. Could be a dry joint where the scart connection is soldered onto the mainboard. Especially if wiggling the cables solved a green tinge before.

As you have tried everything I would have, I would assume the player is faulty. Could be a dry joint where the scart connection is soldered onto the mainboard. Especially if wiggling the cables solved a green tinge before.

Could very well be the case (I did also have a look at the socket to check the pins for abnormalities) but I'd rather not pop it open as the unit is brand new. I have never had to return a single item I purchased online...esp through amazon.

I am not sure if I should be contacting Toshiba or if I should be contacting amazon and I haven't registered the player with Toshiba yet.

I am not sure if I should be contacting Toshiba or if I should be contacting amazon
Your recourse where faulty goods are concerned,is always first and foremost with the retailer,and not the manufacturer.
Whatever you do...do not attempt to open it up yourself.
Amazon should sort this out with the minimum amount of hassle,they are very good that way. :)

It has very rarely happened..but i always love it when a retailer tells me it is nothing to do with them and i will need to contact the manufacturer.;)

I sent amazon an email...tacked on at the bottom and this is the response I got.

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk regarding your order (#).

We are sorry to hear that you have encountered an issue with this
item "Toshiba SD360E Multi-region Capable DVD Player with HDMI
(Multi Region Capable)".

In the majority of cases, we have found that many functionality
issues can be resolved by closely following the instruction methods
described in the manual. To help you to understand your new
purchase, we also recommend you visit our online Electronics & Photo
Info Centre using this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.h...98753-0400432?
docId=154689

From these pages, simply select the appropriate product line, and
then click the "Buying Guide" link to discover additional product
information.

If none of the suggestions above are of any further help to you we
would request you to contact the manufacturer once to try and
resolve the issue as they are in a better position to provide
additional support services for their specific products. You may
contact "Toshiba" by using the following web site:

www.toshiba.co.uk

If the manufacturer has been unable to assist you, our returns policy
may be accessed at the following Help Desk link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...?nodeId=502480

Please enclose the packing slip in the carton, wrap the package
securely using the original packaging if possible, and post it to
the address below, with all warranty cards, licenses, manuals or
accessories (if any).

Amazon - Customer Returns
2 Cloch Road
Faulds Park
Gourock
Inverclyde
PA19 1BQ

As noted above, for your protection, we recommend that you use a
recorded-delivery service. To track your recorded item, please use
your carrier's online tracking service.

Any postage charges that you incur for this return will be refunded
back to you on the receipt of the defective item. Please allow up to
two weeks for a return to process.

Please contact us using the link below and let us know your carrier
service, tracking number. On confirmation of receipt of the item at
our Fulfillment Centre by your carrier, please allow between 5-7
business days for us to issue refund.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/email

If you wish to discuss our returns policy further, our Customer
Service team can be reached from Monday to Friday, between 8:00 am --
6:00 pm (GMT).

================================================== ==================
Phone: 0800 279 6620 (from within the UK)
+44 20 8636 9451 (outside the UK)

Fax: 0800 279 6630 (from within the UK)
+44 20 8636 9401 (outside the UK)
================================================== ==================

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk.

Please let us know if this e-mail answered your question:

<>

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept
incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help
section of our website.

Warmest regards

Customer Service
Amazon.co.uk
================================================== ===================
Free UK delivery on orders over GBP 15 (See details & conditions)
www.amazon.co.uk/supersaverdelivery

> Subject: Received Damaged, Defective or Wrong Item
> To: "[email protected]" [email protected]
> ITEMS:
> Toshiba SD360E Multi-region Capable DVD Play...
> Comments:I recieved the item mentioned in the aforementioned order
and have found the SCART output to be defective when put in RGB mode
(this has been tested on 2 TVs and several SCART cables, all with
the same result); the image is red as if only the red color
component is being output. I am uncertain whom I should be
contacting regarding this defect but I would like to have this issue
resolved ASAP before the Christmas holidays begin. Please advise.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> ---------------

Should I go ahead and contact Toshiba or pester Amazon? The email seems a bit vague to me.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This seems like a fairly standard,and acceptable response. A retailer can "suggest" you contact the manufacturer,purely because the manufacturer will be more knowledgable with specific issues and will have a procedure in place for dealing with such things. But....it is entirely your decision whether you choose to contact the manufacturer or not. You may feel it is to your advantage to do this in certain circumstances,but at the end of the day,it is ultimately the retailers obligation to rectify the problem.
And to be fair to Amazon,they have indicated they are willing to do this through their normal procedure.

You seem to have proved there is a fault with the unit,so if it was me i would be looking to have it replaced as soon as possible.
Would be interested to hear how you get on.....

The player is currently pending return to amazon for a refund (still waiting for the DHL guy). As they're out of stock on the SD360E, I ordered an NS76H instead; it was my second choice anyway. Amazon threw in a 10 pound discount too for my troubles. So, we'll see what happens now.

The player is currently pending return to amazon for a refund (still waiting for the DHL guy). As they're out of stock on the SD360E, I ordered an NS76H instead; it was my second choice anyway. Amazon threw in a 10 pound discount too for my troubles. So, we'll see what happens now.

I think you'll find you're happier with the Sony so it may be a case of all's well that ends well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom