RGB out on VHS Scart

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chrismuk, Feb 4, 2009.

1. chrismuk

chrismuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi all,

I just had Sky HD fitted on monday and received an Amstrad box. I've noticed an interesting change compared to my old pace v1 sky+ box. Both of the scarts on the back are enabled for RGB out, not just the TV one the video one too.

I found this out because its had the unfortunate effect of stopping me recording anything from the HD box onto my VHS through the VHS scart. I'm not sure if theres no composite signal there or if its because of some in pin in the scart indicating the signal is RGB but the video just shows a blank. I've tried another cable with no luck.

I tested by connecting both scarts to my TV and seeing what signal was received, what I found was that you can switch between PAL/RGB on the TV scart using the option in the picture settings menu, but the VHS scart is RGB all the time, no matter what option you choose.

If I connect the video to the TV scart and then set the box to output PAL, then I can record. But the problem with this is that my video only has scart and the scart pass through doesn't work if you connect it this way round.

Maybe time to ditch the video and get a dvd recorder (i don't record stuff to tape for myself, mainly to lend to the in laws).

Any comments or suggestions of a work around?

Thanks