RGB or Scart

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MikeyC82, Jan 9, 2008.

1. MikeyC82

MikeyC82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm a little confused about whether I will get a better picture from my DVD player using RGB or Scart. I'm connected by Scart at the moment but managed to buy the wrong cables (component instead of RGB) to try - DOH!

Can anybody help?

Cheers

Mike

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    In theory component (Y Pr Pb) would be better than RGB.
    In practice the difference may not be detectable to the normal user.
    Depends in part on the quality/design of the RGB output stages and drivers vs those in the equivalent Y Pr Pb circuitry of your DVD player as well as the design of the input stages of your display.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,684
    Also it is worth pointing out that Scart is a connection method and can carry different types of signal, including RGB, composite and S-Video, and very very occasionally, component.

An RGB signal via a Scart connection is completely different to a component signal, which rather confusingly, gets connected using a cable with Red, Green and Blue phonos.

In all but the most obscure kit, "RGB" will be implemented via a Scart connection: Scart on the source AND Scart on the display unit.

In all but the most obscure kit, "component" will be implemented via 3 x phono leads (which get coloured with Red Green and Blue phonos but this is a total coincidence viz a viz the "RGB" signal on a Scart connection.)

On Standard definition (576 lines) material and with an interlaced picture, "RGB" is in theory better than component. However, component can also carry a HD signal (720 lines and above) and produce a progressive signal, which in all instances will be better than the RGB on a Scart connection.

HTH as well.