Rgb Or S-video?

H

hellogr1

Hello!
I'm new in HOME CINEMA and I wanted to know which is the best way to watch a movie ...through RGB or S-VIDEO?What is the difference?
Thank you very much

From what source, on what display device?

From most DVD players to most TV's RGB looks better than S-Video.
The difference very basicaly is that in RGB the Red Green Blue signals are on seperate wires while on S-Video they are mixed together on the DVD player and then split at the TV which can introduce errors.

Originally posted by hellogr1
What is the difference?

It depends on what gear you have. Most people use RGB Scart connections as it is decent quality and easy. However there are players out there that have better SVideo via Scarts than RGB performance.

Personally I think the best is component (not relevant here?) followed by SVideo on SVideo connectors followed by RGB or SVideo on SCARTs. Composite is a long way behind. SCARTs are a horrible connector but are very convenient. The difference between RGB (SCART) and SVideo (SCART or SVideo connector) is relatively small and I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it.

In my experience, quite dependent on the TV set.
I have had/seen several Philips sets for example which have a lot worse RGB than S-Video, in my opinon. (middle-end Sony sets seem to handle all three as they should)
Of course, your source and cable will determine the performance too......

100Hz TV's tend to have less sharp color with RGB than S-video, even though it should be the other way around.

The reason is that they convert all signals, including RGB, to YUV component for the internal digital processing. In order to reduce the amount of memory needed, they subsample and/or compress the color signals (often as low as 4:1:1). If the input is a composite or S-video signal, they however follow this processing with a CTI (Color Transient Improvement) circuit which tries to pull colors back into place.

Since RGB normally will not need this correction, CTI is inactivated. That makes the artifacts from the subsampling/compression more apparent. Ironically, this may lead to blurrier colors with RGB, in spite of the color bandwidth being roughly 10 times higher than in S-video.

Hmm..... if this is true, it really is too bad.
Conserve memory? Wonder what kind of memory they use and how expensive it is... I mean TV manufacturers have some volumes!

I think RGB is a lot better with a 50Hz 32" TV

If there is any difference it's that RGB offers a 'purer' and more defined picture whereas Svid is slightly more sparky (something I prefer). The differences are minute mind you so unless you are a sad git like me use what is most convenient as long as it's not composite.

Steeevo

It's not quite as simple as that.

RGB will be the best in 95% of cases. A "famous" example of s-video being better was the Toshiba 32MW7DB television. Some televisions will not handle the RGB signal well or handle the s-video signal better.

My view is to check both via the scart lead and make your own mind up, knowing that the RGB is most likely to be the better.

Originally posted by aRCaM
RGB is better..plain and simple !

This is not true, it can be on some set ups but is not a rule.

Let's just say it should be better, but might not be because of mysterious digital bottlenecks.

Well I've used S-Video for a number of years on various types of equipment.....

Panny SVHS VCRs (x3)
JVC SVHS VCR
Sony Playstation
10 yr old Panny TV
12 yr old Phillips TV
Sony WS TV
Tosh WS RP TV
Hitachi DVD Player
Pioneer 717 DVD Player

And they ALL display those faint diagonal lines and shimmery edges (don't know the technical terms) that you get with every
S-video signal. You don't get this with RGB, just a cleam, solid, clear pic every time.

In my experience RGB has been better EVERY time.

Well I have the sony dvp-735d dvd player and I'm using the S-Video connected to my 4 y.o Sony 21" tv.I know that this tv is too small to see the difference but with the RGB connection the colors are fade and the contrast is too low that I have to adjust my tv seetings the highest is possible.With the s-video I have a great picture and I see a great difference from the composite(well dah!!).I start to realise that it depends on the machine.With another tv or dvd - player I'm sure that RGB is better.
well ... thanx

Of course if you are really smart you will ditch RGB Scarts and use BNC component connections:p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom