1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rgb or s - video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by micks_address, Dec 3, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi folks,

I know this is probably as keenly debated as dolby digital versus dts but i just wanted to ask peoples opinions on it.

I have a Sony NS900 dvd player in the sitting room - connected to a sony Fq86 32" widescreen.. i've always used rgb output on the player cause well thats what i've figured was best. What always annoyed me though is that with the ns900 the rgb is just a little dark so i have to tweak the output of the player... mess around with the gamma settings etc to get it to an acceptable level using something like the thx optimiser...

i was in a fiddly mood last night so i said i'd change the dvd player to output s video via scart.. then change the scart to the 3rd scart socket on the tv (s-video connection)

to me (and i'm a fussy sod) the picture looks every bit as good as the rgb connection.. a couple of things might be happening here.. before i was looping sky through the dvd player so both dvd/sky signals were sharing the same cable into the tv... would this make a difference?

i undertstand to some degree the difference between s -video and rgb with rgb having more bandwith etc but to what extent do people believe s-video is inferior to an rgb connection?

whats nice now is that the video pre sets are usable on the dvd player where before they were just all to dark... and the only one i could use was the memory one....

i have an ns930 connected to my projector to take advantage of the progressive scan output of the player.. via component but i might try out the ns930 with the tv on rgb to see if it makes and difference.. some of the functions on the ns930 are nice like disc resume which is missing on the older ns900...

sorry for the slightly long post but i'd be interested to hear other peoples experience...

the other thing is i'm getting sky plus on monday and am thinking of getting two thor scarts or something simillar for interconnects.. on a 32" tv will i notice a difference? The scarts i have are the standard one that comes with sky and a gold plated fully wired one that came with the tv...

if i do go for new scarts are rgb only better than fully wired? if i stay with s-video should i use an s video lead to carry the dvd signal to the s video socket on the tv.. (its on the front so not very pratical) i have a gold plated ixos s-video cable somewhere that i might give a go...

cheers,
    mick

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    RGB is in theory better as it entirely separates the color signals (red, green, blue) while S-Video separates chrominance (color) and luminance (brightness) only. The difference is not that big actually, at least not as big as between composite (all signals mixed together) and S-Video.

However practially it depends on the equipment you are using - some combinations do indeed deliver better results with S-Video.
    The reason is most likely that a lot of TV sets internally convert RGB (and also YUV where applicable) to S-Video and then back to RGB, usually for the purpose of picture adjustments.

Also note that RGB from DVD is somewhat limited as the picture information on DVD is in YUV format. Thus the DVD player outputs a converted YUV signal as RGB. A true RGB(HV) source would be even better than "just" RGB.

If you want to do better than RGB I reckon DVI or HDMI is the way to go ...

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I think s-video comes a very close second to rgb when it comes to picture quality. There is a difference, but it's a very small one in my experience.
    I found out the same way as you, once I had access to Sky+ and could use the s-video output.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I prefer RGB - try connecting the DVD directly to TV RGB Scart with a decent lead

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I have a NS900 as well and have it connected to my TV with both RGB scart and S Video to scart.

With S Video I can also manage the TV settings and changes things like sharpness, colour etc. With RGB the only setting I can set is brightness. I find feature films are best on RGB however, when I watch some TV series on DVD (Buffy, Angel, X Files and Star Trek), I use S Video. They just look better.

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    well i've the left the dvd on s video for the moment... Reiner - my tv is an fq86.... do you think it converts the rgb to s-video before display anyway? if so there's no real benefit from inputting an rgb signal to the tv?

Cheers,
    Mick

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't know if your TV does convert but a good indication are the picture adjustment options. If there is no conversion then usually there are no picture adjustement for RGB sources either.

The best thing is to try it out and see if there is a difference or not.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A lot of processing TVs do RGB->YUV->RGB not SVid

My TV I can change bugger all on RGB so RGB pictures are very good

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    how do you mean - you cant change much in rgb mode? i can still change sharpness, colour, contrast on the tv no matter what is being fed into it...

10. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an NS900 too and used to have a Sony 32" CRT. The RGB fed signal was unacceptably dark and I much prefered the S video picture. This was a well known problem on this particular model - and bizarely enough was a problem mainly with Sony TVs! There used to be a HUGE thread on this subject on this very Forum - it may still be there.

I now use the NS900 by component to my Panasonic plasma and the picture is wonderful. Of course, my debate now is how much MORE wonderful would it be with a progressive signal? As I've already spent way too much money I'm consoling myself that I would "probably" have to buy a fairly good DVD player with progressive scan to see much improvement - and therefore I'm not going to just yet!

Simon

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    simon - your right about the sony crts.. i had the ns900 connected to a phillips 28" before and the rgb was fine on it.. makes you wonder why it would look so dark on the sony... surely sony test their product together.?

btw i have also an ns930 and there was a considerable jump up in pic quality over the ns900 on my projector.. with progressive feed

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What would be the point in that?

AFAIK RGB to YUV conversion (and vice versa) is lossless.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Since RGB->YUV->RGB is more or less lossless these TVs are a better buy than the ones which use SVID

14. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Martin - how do you know when buying a tv which does which sort of conversion?

Cheers,
    Mick

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Now thats a difficult question

_Some_ Lowes use SVid

As to YUV well lets start asking! I'd guess that any with better RGB than SVid use it!