RGB or not?

R

Relica

Hi, I have just purchaced a Toshiba 17WL46B LCD for gaming and DVD playback.

I have connected a scart cable from my xbox to the scart 1 socket that allows RGB but when its connected there is no indication on the screen that RGB is enabled. The same applies to the DVD player running through scart 2. Both scart sockets are RGB enabled.

However, my Panasonic 28 widescreen crt downstairs always lets me know that RGB is activated. Please could someone advice me how to find out if RGB is active on my LVD. :)

S

smallmanongn

Well if the Xbox scart lead is solely an RGB lead then it sort of answers your own question :thumbsup:

fourmthree

Standard Member
If the cable has been proved to be RGB, by your Panny, then all you can do is trust it!

neilmcl

smallmanongn said:
Well if the Xbox scart lead is solely an RGB lead then it sort of answers your own question :thumbsup:
Not really, just because a scart is a fully wired RGB enabled one doesn't mean that it doesn't carry a composite signal. I may think I'm passing an RGB signal via scart to my Sharp LCD but until I tell the LCD that that input is RGB it will treat it as a composite signal by default which I believe is what the OP is getting at.

cerebros

Relica said:
I have connected a scart cable from my xbox to the scart 1 socket that allows RGB but when its connected there is no indication on the screen that RGB is enabled. The same applies to the DVD player running through scart 2. Both scart sockets are RGB enabled.
Are you using Microsoft's Advanced SCART cable? The one that comes with the Xbox as standard isn't RGB capable. You need either Microsoft's Advanced SCART (which also has an optical audio connection) or a third party cable which is RGB compatible (do a search in the Xbox forum and you should be able to find details of 3rd party cables)

R

Relica

Yes, I am using the official RGB cable via my xbox. Like neilmcl states how do I know if I am getting a RGB signal because it doesn't say on my screen like my panasonic does? The picture is good but how do I know if I am looking at a RGB piture quality.

There doesn't seem to be a way to tell the tv I am using a RGB scart?

b10cker

why dont you just plug your original xbox cable in and check if theres a difference in the picture?
or am i missing something?

Giblets2

b10cker said:
why dont you just plug your original xbox cable in and check if theres a difference in the picture?
or am i missing something?
I agree, you'll see all the fuzzy s**t come back and you'll know immediately! :D

fourmthree

Standard Member
neilmcl said:
Not really, just because a scart is a fully wired RGB enabled one doesn't mean that it doesn't carry a composite signal. I may think I'm passing an RGB signal via scart to my Sharp LCD but until I tell the LCD that that input is RGB it will treat it as a composite signal by default which I believe is what the OP is getting at.
Good point actually.

I didn't realise until this weekend that my Sky box was utilising the RGB signal from the cable I had in it. It was only once I accessed the Picture Settings menu that I noticed it was still set for PAL and not RGB. The difference was substantial.

My Panasonic CRT tells me that the SCART in AV1 is RGB (a small indicator top left of the screen) but not all systems will.

Sami

Relica said:
Yes, I am using the official RGB cable via my xbox. Like neilmcl states how do I know if I am getting a RGB signal because it doesn't say on my screen like my panasonic does? The picture is good but how do I know if I am looking at a RGB piture quality.

There doesn't seem to be a way to tell the tv I am using a RGB scart?
If you are using the Microsoft RGB cable, then you would not get a picture at all unless you have it plugged into an RGB enabled scart socket.

Trending threads

Top Bottom