1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB or not RGB?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by keyser, Mar 21, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a panasonic satellite reciever, and I noticed when I was going through the menu that I can switch between PAL and RGB. But I don´t see a difference in the picture. What does an RGB picturelook like when it´s connected to a scart input that´s not RGB conmpatible? I have a widescreen TV, should I set the receiver to widescreen or normal, how does this affect channels that are normal and widescreen like sky premier ws???

2. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your TV does not have RGB input it will automatically default to 'Composite' (or 'PAL' on your box menu, so set it there). The RGB picture is much better of course and it automatrically adjusts the picture ratio (if the TV station is sending the appropriate signal).

Can your TV accept Svideo input (the next best option)? You should be able to switch the satellite box to output Svideo (usually through the video SCART).

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you have the scart lead plugged into the RGB scart on the tv. Usually, only 1 of the 2 or 3 scarts is RGB enabled.

The easiest way to see the difference is to switch between PAL and RGB on the digibox picture menu.

You have a widescreen tv, so set the digibox to 16:9. If you do not, you will not benefit from the anamorphic widescreen transmissions.

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot for your help guys. So I set my sat receiver to RBG and connect it to a rbg combatible scart input and set it to widescreen. So it´s normal when I switch to RGB and have the receiver connected to a scart input thats isn´t RBG ready then the picture really does nothing, just remains in composite. But how does the "wide" setting affect normal 4:3 and 16:9 broadcasts. I have always had the receiver set to normal and I guess then that normal 4:3 broadcasts have been stretched and I don´t know what goes for the 16:9 broadcasts??
    p.s. My TV has only one RGB scart, can I get an multiscart plug that is good quality and RGB ready?

5. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I had a similair problem with my old TV swtching to RGB, but try switching on The Scart control option , as that turned on the RGB setting

6. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Keyser if the broadcast is 4:3 or letterbox it will show up at that ratio on the TV because they are brodacsting it in 'anamorphic' mode. The only programs to fully fill the screen will be the ones to be broadcast at 16:9.

The only thing to keep an eye on is that some channels broadcast the TV ratio switching signal and other channels wont, so the TV might not automatically pick up the proper aspect ratio, but you can always put the TV in 'Widescreen' manually.