1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB or Component? Any real difference?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bodyfodder, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a while i have been searching for the perfect TV to meet my gaming and movie needs. The two sets i have my eyes on are...

Toshiba 32ZP38
    or...
    Loewe MIMO.

Now the question is will the Loewe via its RGB socket give just as good interlaced picture as the Tosh via its component sockets? I am lookin for the best interlaced picture so the progressive feature of the tosh is not an issue.

Thanks.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good question when comparing 2 TV's from different manufacturers,but certainly I can see the difference between component and RGB Scart inputs to my Toshiba RPTV...component is just smoother,better defined....better all round.

3. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

RPTVs have a 42"+ screen and maybe the difference can be seen on that scale. On a 32" set is the difference worth paying extra for?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Couldn't really say at that screen size,only that on a larger(RPTV),it really does make a difference.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thats not a fair comparision as Toshiba's are notoriously poor for scart rgb. Often downgrading it internally to s-video. Component is obviously better when its progressive but for interlace pictures the slightly greater bandwidth of RGB should show it to be marginally superior. The RGB image should have more dynamic colours and contrast. However in the real world either can be better depending on the actual tv/projector and dvd player used.

6. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that bonzobanana.

I think im gonna go with my gut feelin and get the loewe. Loewe sets can do component too via its scart socket but it seens like hassle buying new cables.

Does anyone have any recomendations on what dvd player is best suited to a loewe for about £350?

7. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    On my Tosh Strata with Philips 963sa, component connection with Supra AV3 was considerably better than RGB with Thor Scart.
    On my Loewe Mimo with Sony NS930 the same is also true. In both instances component was more detailed, more film like and much more 3D. Colours were also much better.

Problem is there are a number of variables involved. Could be that both tvs handled component better than RGB. Could be that both players output better with component. Could also be that the Supra cable was just much better than the Thor cable.

The difference though was clear.

8. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kwangomango

How do you find the mimo? Would you recommend it?

Thanks again for the reply.

9. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Absolutely. After the Tosh 3rd Tosh went back due to it's numerous faults i looked at a lot of sets. I thought the pd30 was poor. I liked the pf2 but noticed the green trails. I liked most of the pixel+ sets (when pixel plus was turned off). I also thought the iDTV Sony's were great.
    However i thought the Loewe sets were just that bit better. They scream quality, craftsmanship and well thought out design. In cream on a Rack 1 stand the Mimo looks utterly fantastic. It has so many good points:

The picture is marvellous - detailed, vibrant, three dimensional.
    Great 100Hz processing.
    The geometry is almost perfect in all aspect ratios.
    A white screen is perfectly white - not a hint of discolouration.
    The user interface is the most comprehensive and user friendly i have ever seen.
    The remote feels fantastic.
    When the set is switched off, the picture fades to black like curtains closing at the cinema.
    etc.
    Hell, last week it even flashed up a message telling me not to forget to send off my registration card!
    So many nice touches.

10. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sold!

....at long last!

11. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh one more thing kwangomango

How do you find that sony dvd player? Does it have problems and would you recommend that aswell?

Thanks for all the info.

12. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am well pleased with the 930. Component picture quality via my Supra AV3 cable is excellent. Very nice looking unit too - brushed aluminium fascia. Only problems i can think of are that the remote is very cluttered and that there is no shuffle play for MP3's. Apparently the layer change is usual Sony speed i.e slow. Got bored waiting for the Pioneer 565 to hit the shelves. Got mine £225 multiregion from here http://www.digital-point.co.uk. Free next day delivery and a free scart cable.
    There are some more comments about the 930 over in the DVD section. Apparently the pic is as good as a Denon 2900!

13. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Am i correct in saying that you are only using the interlaced output of the player because of the loewes lack of progscan capable component inputs? Is the picture quality in interlaced hooked up from component->scart better than other interlaced only output players?

If this is the case then what about the Sony NS730p? Will this player offer the same quality interlaced picture?

Sorry for all the questions mate but im so close to buying!

Thanks.

14. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yeah i am using the interlaced component outs. Dunno about the 730 i am afraid. To be honest you could end driving yourself mad deciding if player x is better than player y. Or what about player z? The 930 is the replacement for the 905 which received lots of excellent reviews. At £225 quid it is a very good price.

15. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for your time.:smashin:

16. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You're welcome.

17. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly certain that Loewe TVs are unusual in that they will accept a component input via their scart using a specific component->scart lead.

Have a search on the forum, I'm pretty sure this is the case.

18. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I don't think theres any televisions that take a component signal that also do scart rgb well. I assume its to do with the chipsets fitted with regard tuner circuitry. Many tuner i.c.s seem to have pal/ntsc compatibility, composite, s-video and component support but no scart style rgb as the i.c.s are designed with jap/usa in mind. Hence RGB needs to be a completely seperate path bypassing the tuner circuitry. It seems many of these top end televisions want the tuner circuitry and final RGB conversion to be an exclusive path to the tube itself. Hence a simple RGB to s-video converter allows RGB compatibility without getting RGB quality. This is certainly the way both Toshiba and Loewe have done it on some of their past models. Its possible nowadays that there is circuitry that converts rgb scart to component internally but this would still put scart rgb at a disadvantage over component as it would mean rgb was more heavily processed.