1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB on SkyDIGI

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by deff, Feb 19, 2002.

1. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Grundig Sky box. When I change the picture output in the service menu to RGB, the picture quality on my TV (phillips 32pw9616) is simply awful. The picture is alot better in PAL.
    I am using an expensive squart cable for the connection.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions(I thought RGB gave the best picture)

Deff

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I take it "SCART Control" was set in the services menu? If not, it was PAL (or composite, as it should be labelled!) all the way!

RGB seems to be implemented differently by every manufacturer. On some TVs it shifts the image, some can't adjust colour/contrast e.t.c. but nevertheless the image quality is better than composite by a country mile. :p Check something like the "Press red" (!) logo on various channels - on RGB (Grundig as well) , I can actually read these words, where as the composite it's a blur!

The picture can seem "washed out" compared to the aritifically enhanced composite, which maybe why you dislike it. But if it seems to makes the picture worse, something's awry...

3. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Is the SCART lead from the digibox plugged into a scart socket that is RGB enabled (not all are)? Is there an option on the TV to tell it that there is an RGB signal coming in (RGB is not always autodetected!)? Is the SCART lead a fully wired one?

4. deff

deff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sraper,

The answer to all your questions are 'Yes'

Deff

5. marty1

marty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem. And am sure I have followed all ther correct steps, my TV is a JVC AV28R1EKS and a Pace digibox, when I set sky to RGB the picture is very blotchy. I have ensured that I'm using the correct TV input (RGB enabled).

There is no way with my TV menus to set the TV to input RGB, I assumed this was an automatic detection, am I coorrect?

I am new to AV stuff, I'm more of a hifi bod. The connections etc are absolutely bewildering and I haven't even added a DVD yet!

This may be the wrong section but why is the output from the audio terminals on the TV so low? Using the pro logic setting and my hifi supplying the front speakers via an Arcam A85 amp the volume is set to almost full whack, if I played a CD at that level my house would go into orbit.

Regards.

6. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Grundig Box has a problem with RGB in general.

My dad has has 3 new grundig boxes, each time he hooks his dvd player into scart 2 the screen goes orange. He now has a panasonic and the screen is the colour it should be.

I would avoid Grundig like the plague

7. marty1

marty1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My box is a Pace!

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most strange. I would suspect a problem with the digibox rather than the TV. RGB should be auto detected by most TV's on an RGB input. I have a Sony TV and digibox and switching between PAL and RGB in the service menu makes an instant and big improvement. The colours are not as bright as with PAL but the picture is rock steady.

As for TV audio out, I don't know why, my Sony is low as well. Switching back to the digibox or DVD sometimes blows my ears out cuz I've had it on 11.

S

9. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

This is an easy one! I have a JVC set too, and the output is variable. This means that the TV volume setting affects the output to your amp. I recommend using the phono sockets on your digibox instead, as these are fixed output.

With regards to Sony TVs, also mentioned, you can increase the volume of these by using the headphone volume in the menu, as that also affects the audio outputs!

Hope that helps :cool:

10. huh?

huh?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a grundig box (real ugly too, the fronts all curvy) and the rgb output is quite crisp. I have noticed that if you press the "tv" button on your sky remote the output switches to composite. press "sky" and it switches back to rgb. gives you an instant comparison- should be able to notice a huge difference between the two. (might need to disable the setting in the remote that changes the channel when you press "sky." my tv kept flicking over to channel 6 then the autoswitching from the scart changed it straight back. well annoying).

also if your watching something in rgb there should be some extra features in the menu to allow for centering of the picture. of course that probably depends on your tv.