1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB on E85?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigsby, Apr 26, 2004.

1. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would be grateful if one of the E85 owners could give me some advice on set up. Currently I have my Sky box set to output RGB and plugged into the E85. Then I have the E85 set to output RGB and plugged into my Sony telly. However, when I set the E85 to accept an RGB input, all I get is a black screen.

The picture looks pretty good to me with the E85 accepting a video input from the Sky box, but am I getting true RGB, or could this be better?

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If the Sky box is set-up to output RGB DO NOT press the TV button at the top of the Sky handset as this (for some reason) switches the output to composite. If you press the Sky button again your picture should be restored.

3. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I set my brothers e55 up and had the same problem.He has a Grundig sky box.

:confused:

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you have connected the Sky 'tv scart' not the 'vcr scart' to the recorder.The vcr scart does not output RGB

5. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a Grundig box too, so that may have something to do with it. On the other hand I'm not certain that I've used the TV scart or video Scart, so check and report back.

Thanks for all your help!

6. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ok, I checked my Sky box and I had indeed connected the VCR scart to the E85 rather than the TV scart.

I have now swapped them about and the E85 is accepting the RGB input.

Thanks for the info folks!

7. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As far as I can see there is some sort of RGB problem with the E85 - its mentioned in the manual. You can set up your set top box to output RGB and the e85 to accept it on AV2 (and pass it through). The problem is when you try and record from a box that has been in standby mode, you get no picture! The manual says don't switch the box off or change the output to S/video or composite. Seems stupid to me having to keep changing setting depending how you are recording/watching. "External link" recordings dont work in RGB either for the same reason - its the coming out of standby that make the e85 record (very handy so you don't have to set up tew timers) but by coming out of standby RGB doesn't work.

Maybe I'm missing something. Any ideas? Thanks.

8. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There's nothing wrong with the E85's RGB function. What is wrong is Panasonic's manual. It describes a way to use the Sky personal programmer for timed recordings but neglects to say that it will not work in RGB as Sky have set this up to work through the VCR socket ( not compatible with RGB ) - which was fine for video recording.

The External Link function only works when the digibox is connected to the E85 via the digibox's VCR scart. This does not output RGB. Only the digibox's TV scart outputs RGB.

So the simple answer is - use the digibox's TV scart for RGB. If you want to change Sky channels use the planner to set a reminder and leave the digibox on. Then set the E85 to timer record. Do not wsitch the TV to standby with the Sky remote - this puts the digibox into composite mode - again not an E85 problem but a Sky problem.

9. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Jem. My set top box is a philips on-digital one. I have TV-out on the STB set to RGB and TV-out connected to AV2 on the DVD recorder. If the STB comes out of stand-by for a timer recording then the E85 will not record the picture, only sound. It maybe that the Philips set top box switches off RGB to TV out when it is on because of the timer but that would seem odd. The external link method is the same, it activates and records when the set top box comes out of standby (still using TV out), so it is seeing a signal on the scart, but again no picture is recorded unless I change the STB to video out and AV2 to video in. It sound like what is in the manual - needs a continuous RGB feed, whatever that means.

OK. After a bit more testing, switching stb off and on rather than timed mode, I can report the E85 does not appear at fault (as Jem rightly said - thanks). In timer mode, TV-out appears to change to composite output - which is good news for the E85 but bad news for the set top box.

10. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Digiman said,

Yes this appears to be what happens and the same kind of thing happens with the external Link function using Sky's personal planner. However i suppose both of these were devised before DVD recording came about. For VCR recording, composite mode was fine.

11. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I recieved my e85 a couple of days ago but cannot get a picture from my grundig sky box with the RGB input selected - just gives a black screen (with sound). I have connected from the tv out on the sky box and tried pressing the sky button on the sky remote, but nothing. Any other ideas. Please help.

Thanks

12. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sound with no picture usually means that the E85 is not receiving an RGB picture. Have you checked the output from your Sky box is set to output RGB?

13. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jem,

How do you set the sky box to output RGB?

The sky box is a Grundig.

I have read the bits on pressing the sky button (and not to press tv button) but still no joy.

Many Thanks

14. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Press "Services", "System setup", "Picture Settings" and make sure video output is set to RGB then Save New Settings.

15. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jem,

All is working now. Just to clarify is RGB better quality than PAL setting?

Many Thanks

16. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PAL is just composite video which is what a VCR will output. RGB is very much superior. You should see a marked difference in your Sky picture now as well as giving better quality recordings and playback on your DVD recorder.

17. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jem, that's fantastic. I was actually thinking of converting some video tapes to dvds, so does that mean I should change the setting back to PAL when I connect the video? A video recorder wont output RGB?

Thanks again Jem for all your help

18. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes that's correct, a VCR can't output RGB. You should change the AV2 input (assuming your VCR is connected this way )to Video as opposed to RGB. Either that or connect the VCR to another input on the E85.

19. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks million Jem, just recorded in RGB, fantastic quality - picture and sound. Thanks for all your help and advice.

20. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No problem.