RGB Normal or RGB Expand using HDMI to DVI?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Damian1978, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi chaps,

Got a Marantz DV9500 connected via HDMI to DVI on my Relisys RLT3200 LCD TV.

Had the player since April now and its :smashin: but I've been running it using the RGB Normal option in the HDMI settings.

Is there a preferred setting? I've now switched it to RGB Expanded and the contrast has nearly had to have halfed and I've dropped the brightness to (using PAL DVE test disc). Does the Extended function have a greater dynamic range or something?

Also how does everyone set up there contrast levels on the DVE disc?

I use the display that gives a bar going from black to white and if you step the contrast down you can just see slight changes in the white at the lower end (changes to grey). If you step it up they start to dissapear and all become more white. I'm assuming the more variations visible in the white to black (greyscale?) the better the picture?

Oh well. For the most part the picture is superb. Just seems weird having the contrast at about 36!

2. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The following is taken from the Secrets of Home Theatre web site's review for the Denon DVD-5910 (aka DVD-A1XV):

I'm assuming the Marantz player uses a similar naming arrangement for Normal and expanded/enhanced modes. Why they don't just call them "Video" and "PC" levels, I don't know.

Using enhanced/expanded should mean that the "below black" bars from the DVE pluge test patterns would no longer be visible, so you should probably stick with normal like the man says.

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Well the below black bars are only visible when the brightness level of the Maranzt is pushed up one and then its fine on both Normal and Extended.