1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Loopthrough on Sky Digital Please

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stewart C, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have asked this question before about connecting a DVD player to Scart 2 on a digi box (RGB set up on the DVD menu) and Scart 1 on the digi box to the TV. The Digi box is set to RGB.

Does a sky digi box allow the through put of RGB from another source like DVD player?

My TV has only one RGB Scart and the digi box goes there. I use S-Video for my DVD but I would like to use RGB for both.

I do not have sky I have ITV Digital and it doesn't. Scart 2 allows composite only. Someone said to me that Sky boxes do but I phoned up sky and got through to an engineer and he said NO !!

Incidentially, my dad tried this with his sky/DVD set up and when he switched the DVD player on he go an orange/brown screen. When he connected the DVD direct to the TV it was fine.

Must be the digi box?

When he chaged the DVD menu from RGB to video, the picture was fine, albeit not RGB.

Regards

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does.

However, there are some rare cases where the picture can be distorted doing this.

3. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Looks like my dad Grundig is one of these cases.

Regards

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey DD you seem to know what u are talking about.

If I give up ITV Digital and go for a sky box can you guarantee one that will work.

I am so wanting RGB from both DVD player and Sky Digi without having to disconnecting things.

Cheers

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure it is the digibox that has the problem but the tv.

I looped a PS2 through my digibox with no problems with RGB.

However, my parents looped a Samsung 511 DVD player through their digibox and the picture would gradually fail. They did the same on a new television and the picture didn't fail. That would indicate that it was the tv rather than the digibox.

So, no i cannot guarantee it but it is an small minority of cases that seem to suffer so the odds favour you.

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your dvd has 2 scarts you could loop the digy box through the dvd player .

if all else fails you could get a scart swich box from argos for a tenner

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Avoid the Argos ones if you can, they're prone to interference confliction between devices.

8. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys but it's not a question about 2 scart sockets on the back of the box but whether scart 2 outputs RGB.

Most don't on DVD players with the exception of the new slimline Pioneer, they only output composite or S-Video.

My ITV digital box has 2 scart sockets ofcourse it does but only scart 1 outputs RGB. I cannot therefore daisy chain my DVD through this connection as I would not get RGB through the link to the TV.

Thanks

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    If you don't have RGB SCART through sockets on your DVD or STB and your TV only has one RGB SCART, then your only alternative is to use a SCART switch box. That is what I use as I was in a similar predicament to yours.

10. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewart the ONLY itvdigibox which will pass thru RGB is the Pace 735 (not the old 730 which hides the smartcard behind a flap).

It will only do this if switched on - won't work in standby.

If ITVDigital won't help you in changing your box then buy a 735 from e-bay and flog yours to recover costs. If yours is a Nokia or Pioneer you could make some money whilst solving your problem!

The Pace is a good box, never locks up, reasonably quick and channel macros from my pronto work 99.9% of the time...unlike the bloody Nokia.

HTH.

11. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, got my pace 735 RGB all round it is.

Stewart