1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Lines

Discussion in 'TVs' started by robsyme, Feb 28, 2005.

1. robsyme

robsyme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 32p9308, I have noticed some VERY thin Red Green and Blue lines at the top section of the screen. The actual section of screen affected is approximately 2 inches at the top.

The lines are literally 1 or 2mm thick, and run across the top, spac ed about 5mm apart on the left of the screen, and meet at the right side, therefore they are slightly sloping upwards to the right.

They are only visable against a dark background, and occasionally do move VERY slightly. The sets of blue lines are almost completely off the top of the screen, but you can occasioanlly see them when changing channels etc.

Can someone be kind enough to help as it's driving me crazy.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953

3. robsyme

robsyme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry.....32pw9308

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, how old is this set ? are you saying you can see these coloured lines within the normal viewing area ? Regards, yt.

5. robsyme

robsyme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set is 6 months old, and yes I can see the lines in the normal viewing area and in the black bar at the top while watching 16:9 format.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm, well if you had said it was an 'oldish' set then without doubt I would have put money on it being a 'duff' capacitor in the blanking circuitry. As you probably know the electron beams scan from top to bottom/left to right and at the bottom of the screen the beams need to be deflected back to the top of the screen. If the beams weren't turned off (blanked) then you would see the zig-zag motion of the beams going back to the top (in laymans terms !) from your description it seems as if the beams are being switched back on (unblanked) before they have fully reached the top of the screen - your description is a 'classic' of the symptoms. This is a standard fault that can occur in any telly and the usual cause is a faulty capacitor in the beam blanking circuitry - generally caused by aging and the heat inside the cabinet. However, as your set is new then that kind of rules my theory out. So, either this is a design fault (unlikely) - an adjustment (not likely) or something which requires further in-depth investigation by a service engineer. I'm sorry not to sound more positive but I think in the long term you would be best off by contacting the telly supplier and reporting this as a fault (hopefully they will trot out the usual line that the crt is faulty - it isn't - but nonetheless replace the set) Do let us know what you decide and how you get on. Regards, yt.