RGB Led Strip – Color Difference Issues

Mandini

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve used a led strip behind my TVs floating wall; however, certain leds are lighting a different color than the rest.

I bought this kit from ebay (20M 5050 300 Waterproof RGB LED Strip 18A RF Touch Controller 240W Power PSU | eBay)
I attached the power supply directly to a wall outlet, then I placed the RGB RF controller on the top center of the floating wall and connected one 5meter led strip that runs around the left side of the wall, and connected another 5meter led strip to run on the right side. Since the RF controller only has one output, I doubled the wires on each of the RF controller’s connectors.

While everything was running fine at first, from the second day on a couple of lights light up a different color (or flicker) than the rest :S

Does this have something to do with the FR controller because I doubled it up?
Or could anyone please tell me the components that I need to buy/change in order to resolve the issue?

Many thanks!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That controller is capable of driving 15m of 60/m strip - not 20m that you have bought.

Connecting 2 of the 5m strips to the controller terminals as you did should be OK. Seems odd that the 2 strips worked initially then went dicky.

Try connecting just one of the other 5m strips on its own. If it's OK then the strips have developed a fault. If not then the controller is probably faulty.

Try connecting just one of the other 5m strips on its own. If it's OK then the strips have developed a fault. If not then the controller is probably faulty.
Thanks for the reply S!

I tried connecting just one and had some lights go faulty again, then I tried another strip and the same thing happened :S
Funny thing is that my cousin bought from this guy a different set which is doing the same exact thing....lights going dinky (2CH 44Key Controller 10M 5050 RGB Nonwaterproof LED Strip 60LED M Power Adapter | eBay)

After you pointed out the controller, I was thinking of testing out the strip directly on the 12V adapter (w/o controller), just a bit afraid that I'm gonna burn something.

I guess I'm gonna have to find me a good controller...any suggestions? Was thinking of trying out a WiFi one since it can connect to iphone/android.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It is sounding more like the controller. You can test the strips as follows :

1). Connect power supply positive to strip V+ wire - usually white or black.
2). Connect power supply negative to Red wire - red LED's should light up full-on
3). Repeat step 2 with Green wire - green LED's should light up, then repeat with blue wire.

If all OK ground all 3 RG&B wires - you should get bright white.

It sounds like some of the LEDs on the strip may have become defective. Like supraTTman says, you should be able to determine this by the fault finding method suggested. There's a possibility either one of the three colours (red, green and blue) may have failed on those particular LEDs which is causing them to light up in a different colour.

Many thanks for the suggestions! I haven't had the chance to try it out yet (keeping it busy with work).
Maybe it's worth noting that that the leds that have an issue in one color (ie they light red while the strip is set to violet) usually have an issue with a couple of other colors as well (ie will light yellow while set to white).

Correct me if i'm wrong (still noob with LEDs myself) but doesn't that sound like the blue ones are done.

hello my friends
i have same wondering problem.
when i just turn red color on after one hour green color turn on.
i connect 12 volt to red pin of leds.
photo_2017_02_12_08_16_12.jpg

please help me!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom