1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB lead in plasma and green tinge to picture?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bunglebonce, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, newbie here :thumbsup:

Had a pretty good search and I cant find a post to help me with this one so here goes.

My friend recently bought a Pioneer TH37PE50B plasma TV and we discovered that if you set the cable (NTL) box to RGB, it improved the picture quality.

However, I have noticed that it appears to give the picture a heavy bias on the Green side.

Could this be to do with the scart lead (I understand that an RGB signal is broken up into the light's component colours so thought perhaps more green was getting through than the red and blue)? The cable is a standard 'free' one that comes with dvd players and the like.

Are there different qualities of scart lead - if so do they make a difference?

Is the above nothing to do with this? :)

Ive set the tint preferance to warm on the TV settings menu and this hasn't removed the issue.

Interestingly, I have an old sony trinitron telly with a set top box and whilst the rgb signal gives a much clearer image, it is also (though not as pronounced as my friends) 'greener'!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

B

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes, there are differences in quality and price of Scart Leads (from £0.50 into £1000's!). Whether they make a 'significant' difference to the picture is debatable, the concencus here seems to be, to go for a £20-£30 good quality brand lead.

Above this the differences are likely to be negligible on most systems and therefore don't justify the additional outlay to most people!

Have you tried a different SCART lead? It sounds like this is where the problem lies in your case.

3. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hiya,

First of all, welcome to the forums :)

Have you checked that the SCART lead is pushed all the way in ? The reason I ask is that my parents had NTL installed last week, and were complaining of "green-ness" on their DVD player following the install. I popped round last night, and the installer had knocked the SCART cable out slightly - gave it a firm push, and all back to normal :)

Its also worth looking into better SCART leads as well - you don't need to spend a fortune, but you won't get the best results with the cheap black ones that come free with equipment.

Ian.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed....the free leads are normally pretty bad at transferring the signal....they just cant keep up with the quality of the rest of the kit......but as the guys above say you dont need to spend a fortune to get good quality...I myself use a gr8 lead by Philips that only cost me £3.50 from Asda and gives a spot on picture for my cable box....however to be on the safe side if you want to be absolutely sure of getting a good quality lead go to somewhere like Richer Sounds..../you will probably pick up a scart lead in the £20 to £30 bracket and if for some reason it doesnt do the job Richer Sounds are usually very good at swapping things ... plus you will get reasonable advice....good luck