RGB kitchen LED shopping list

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mattyg, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mattyg

mattyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'll apologise in advance for being a lazy old beggar.:rotfl:

But

What do I need to have multi colour under and over cabinet mood lighting.

I'm going to need at least 2 sets we have a galley kitchen with units top and bottom apart from a 1 metre gap where we have a range oven pretty much in the middle.

I'm thinking 1 set each side half underneath half on top

I'm after being able to control the colour etc of both sides at once.

Thanks in advance
    Matt

2. Wayne00

Wayne00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You will need 2 sets from ebay, 30 led/meter should be fine for your application.

You will need some RGB cable to connect all 4 light strips together like this 5m LED RGB cable wire extension cord for LED RGB Stripe | eBay

30 led/strips are rated at 7.2w/m. You will have 10Meters worth so 7.2 x 10 is 72W total power. Divide by 12 (because it's 12v) to give amps is 6amps. This means that one full power (All three led's on to give white) you will be using 6a, and you will therefore need a 6a power supply to run them.

When I purchased a 60led/meter bundle on ebay it came with a 6a power supply, but that may just be because the 60led/m strips require twice as much power to run. In a 30led/m set you may only get an included 3/4a power supply which prob won't be enough for 10 metres worth. So my advice is to buy from an ebay retailer that sells both types of set, purchase a 30led/m set and an extra 5m worth of just the led strip, and message them asking if they can kindly include a 6a/12v power supply instead of a smaller 3/4a one.

Don't take what I say as gospel though as i've only just learnt myself how these work! http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...398-putting-leds-behind-each-5-1-speaker.html

Anyway this is if you want all of your lights to work from a single remote and controller. Your other option to avoid you crossing your oven is to just have two sets set up, one each side. This will require two controllers, two power supplies and take up two mains sockets in your kitchen though. How ever once set up it takes two seconds to turn both sets to the same colour :)

Hopefully SupraTTman will be along to add to my comments at some point, he's your man with all the answers ;)

3. mattyg

mattyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Wayne, I'll have a look at those links