1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB into VW10HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    I have bought a scart to "RGB phono" lead and i am trying to get the Sony Vw10ht to sync with the signal from my pany A360 (RGB set to AV1) without success. The lead is a profigold scart to three phono RGB lead, does the sony need a fourth sync phono?. I noticed on the lekropacks website that their scart to RGB has four BNC type connections RED/GREEN/BLUE/SYNC. My RGB digital cable box won't sync either, but the wifes Mico A980s DVD "DOES" work! strange. Any ideas welcome...Paul

PS What does 15k RGB mean?.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    Paul:

I've never tried this. You probably need a fourth lead. The sync will be fed from composite. If you have a long enough phon-phono you could try plugging that in along with the scart to 3 phono's to see what happens. It'd go from composite out of the DVD to the first sync in on the same input as the scart to three lead.

15KHz refers to the scanning frequency. Line doubled would be 32Khz ish.

Hope this gets you somewhere.

Gordon

3. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SCART outputs RGB on three separate pins, with the sync signal being taken from the composite signal on a separate pin. How Profigold expect your lead to work, I don't know (unless it is very cunning, and strips the sync from the composite, and then mixes it back in to give sync on green.....but I doubt it!)

However, I don't believe that the Sony can accept a 15kHZ (horizontal scan frequency) on RGB anyway, but I may be wrong..... and anyway, the VW10 won't recognize a 16:9 RGB signal - you'll end up with a 4:3 image in the centre of your screen.....

As an aside, I think Extron have announced the introduction in the 'fall' of a new scaler (DDS402) that will accept RGBS signals from SCART, as well as the usual composite, s-video and component.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    Simon,

Good to see another dealer appear at last.

Actually, we've been through this before about the VPL10. It does recognise a 15KHz signal from RGB with composite sync and it will re-scale it to use the whole panel. Well, there is at least one poster here who has achieved this, but as I say, I've not tried myself.

It's the above 15KHz signals that it doesn't like on RGB and often won't sync to or, if it does, will not let you use aspect ratio control.

I have managed to get the VPL10 to accept 480P with sync on green and allow aspect ratio control. I've also managed the same trick with 720P sync on green with our orinal spec Vigatec GVC1280 scaler. This was conning the thing in to thinking it was receiving a HDTV signal. Unfortunately the timings were wrong so the picture wasn't centred on the panel correctly.

The latest Vigatec software includes a dedicated VPL10 output resolution and I can confirm it works perfectly, RGsB.

Gordon

5. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

may sound like a lame question, but why is it an advantage/preference/need to have the sync on the green, rather than the red or the blue?? (assuming not using composite)

Regards,

Matt

6. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Matt,

Sync on green is just a convention. It's derived from Component (Y,Pr,Pb) where the sync is on Y. On systems that are component and RGB compatible the G and Y connections would share the same connector, so it makes sense to have the sync on the same connecion.

In certain systems (I seem to remember some Sun workstation systems and others) they actually had sync on R, G and B, but that is pretty un-common nowadays.

Hope this is of interest,

Oasis

7. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,953
    Just thought I'd add that RGB 15k makes it clear that RGB is just for 625/50 -so it won't work with American standards-they would use component anyway.
    Should sync OK as the convention is alway sync on Green.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Sorted. :D
    I took Gordons advice and fed the Composite out from AV2 on my Panasonic, to the next phono "in" along on the Sony.
    It sync-ed straight away!.
    So as i had already run four phonos (two pairs) all i have to do is resolder my Ixos scart plug (maplins £10), adding a forth sync lead from Composite. Then return the Profigold lead to the shop!.
    As for the results, RGB is near identical to the S/video feed, giving a slightly clearer picture(very slight). The Component feed from the wifes "Budget" MicoA980s gives a very noticeable improvement (clarity etc) over svideo!, so in this instance "budget" Component is superior to RGB.
    The RGB solution was supposed to tie me over until i get a new DVD player with component etc, but the end result was'nt really worth the effort!. This may be due to the Sonys very high S/video bandwith.
    Thanks to all who replied...Paul

9. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

just a couple of questions now you have the 10HT set up reasonably (?) and are happy with it (?).

Firstly, are you still projecting onto your pseudo grey screen on the wall? If so how does it look?

Secondly, how does the Sony compare to other models you have had/seen.

Thirdly, and my only concern for the money, is the contrast and black level. In Cinema Black mode, does it offer a good black level - especially on a non-grey screen. I had an Epson 1300 ANSI Lumens projector from work the other day and it damn near lit up the room when on full off!! Light leaking out the case, bloody great bright grey all over the screen area!! Please tell me the Sony is better. It was similar to the dark grey on the remote skin to the left.

Finally, after tweaking I here that the full on / full off contrast ratio only manages about 150:1 at absolute best. Given that the Sanyo models are quoting much better than this, how does it look RE contrast. My current TV doesn't have particularly good contrast so I'm not too fussy but the Epson was rubbish, no details in the blacks at all.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this picture!!!!

Matt

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    The Sony does'nt "Leak" any light from the case.
    As for the full off black, its only acceptable if used with a grey screen. Ie i can just about read a DVD cover when near the screen, with the screen showing black!(crap).
    My old Tosh MT1 was slightly darker on full black mode!.(but not as bright)
    My only niggle with the sony is the lack of true blacks.
    On 99% of films it is not a issue because if there is any light in the scene, then anything black then looks jet black.
    Its when i'am watching moody dark scenes with lots of shadows that the dark glow from the panel looks bad.(i hate the thing then!)
    So, would i like to have better blacks...YES-YES-YES.
    Do i wish i had bought something else...NO-NO-NO!.
    WHY?
    Because it does everything else so well. Its bright and colouful, with no bleed or convergence worry to about. Screen door is not a issue because of the tiny pixel size (1366x768!). The detail in the picture is stunning allowing me to see things i never noticed before. The pictures are razer sharp and a plus point is the room can have soft lights on. In fact sometimes i switch cinema black mode off, so the pictures brighter. That way the soft lighting in the room doeas'nt wash out the picture and the black level only very very slightly raises, so the contrast can actually look better!.
    I will stick with LCD/DLP/DILAs for the points above, as i can only imagine how good they will be in a couple of years (estimated upgrade time!).
    CRT is still King and anybody saying otherwise is a fool, but for how long?.
    LCD/DLP/DILAs with 2000-1 contrast? who knows!.
    The Ellie owners have been very quiet of late, so that means one of two things. They are so happy with there buy that they have no use for this forum (very possible after reading its reviews). Or there are issue with the projector which has led them to stop recommending it all the time. So come on Ellie owners, the sony and the Ellie are now close in price so are both competing for the £4000 cash budget. Let us know how things are going etc.
    One thing is for sure, all projectors are getting cheaper so the future looks bright (In my case about 750-1000 ansi to be precise!).
    Paul ;)

11. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Paul.

I'm going to wait until at least September but from a price point of view, I shall probably view the PLV-30 and the 10HT from Sony. I think, after looking at the quality of a widescreen piccy on an 800x600 panelled proj. I will probably opt for the Sony, using your technique for a grey wall. I am hoping that in total blackout there will be very little reflected light visable from the screen under full-off conditions.

Have fun, Paul.

Matt