1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB into Panny dual slot component board?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alanfcross, Mar 15, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just installed the dual slot composite/S-video/component board on my PWD7. I see from the instructions that the BNCs can be used as component (3 connections) or RGB (5 connections RGBHV).

So I lashed up a SCART to 5xBNC to connect my Pioneer DV-360, with R/G/B as obvious, VD fed from blanking, and HD fed from composite/sync. Nothing worked! Disappointed rather than surprised!

Are we talking about incompatible RGB flavours here, or is it more likely that my DVD player is not outputting blanking? Is there a low cost way of doing this, short of converting to component?

This is just an interim measure until I get my component HDD-DVDR, but if it's a problem, or expensive, I'll use S-video for now.

TIA.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you use a Scart to 4 BNC and set it to CS sync then you should get a picture, will probably be fully of Jaggies and look pants tho as they are deigned for Composite sync which is what scart uses..........

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Translated into english, that reads, you need to tell the screen you are sending it composite sync. Some devices work well with this, some are pants, some not at all. This is why J. Sim makes a living! His box constructs a sync signal that doesn't fail from the often iffy (in panasonic plsma terms) ones on scart. VD you can leave dangling BTW

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VD can leave you dangling :eek: :eek: :eek: So i have heard!!!

5. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll all be pleased to hear that I've got my VD sorted (thanks for the chuckle, hornydragon!). I hadn't discovered the sub-menu under RGB. Auto didn't work, nor did sync on G, but VBS works a treat.
    Thanks for sorting this one for me. One day I'll be up to speed and will be able to give a little back to this Forum!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lovely job mate, hope you got the VD sorted before the wife found out!

7. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've been trying to get this working, and I'm failing dismally....

I have a Scart -> 4xBNC cable, and I've checked its correctly wired (RGB + sync on composite).

I've set the plasma to accept combined sync (CS on the RGB submenu). The RGB cables are obvious, but should I plug the sync cable into the HD or VD socket? Neither seems to work for me.

I've even tried plugging the sync cable into the composite input (on the other side of the dual slot board), and if I switch inputs on the plasma I get a nice composite picture. Is this correct? My set top box is definitely set to RGB, and it works fine connected to a JS RGB2VGA convertor.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers
    Chris

8. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I've just managed to solve the problem!

RGB scart direct from my freeview box doesn't work. However, RGB scart from my TiVo works absolutely fine. And if I use the aux bypass on the Tivo to view my freeview box, the freeview box works fine! Something very strange is going on, but its working now so I'm happy.

Chris