RGB input DVD Recorders which record in RGB

ukaudiophile

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been speaking to a friend of mine who has a rapidly filling Sky+ box. He is looking to copy some of the programmes he wants to keep on to DVD recordable, the exact flavour (-/+R or RW doesn't matter to him) and I know from reading this forum that the optimal way of achieving this is by recording the RGB output from the Sky+ box to the DVD recorder. I have, however also read both on here and on other forums that not all RGB input DVD recorders actually record in RGB, some internally convert the signal back to composite (seriously degrading the signal), so what I'm looking for are possible DVD recorders which can not only accept an RGB input, but which actually record in RGB.

To the best of my knowledge, I know the following models work, but are not the cheapest machines out there, are there any cheaper recorders which can achieve this or other machines worth considering?

Panasonic DMR-EX77EB
Sony RDR-HXD860S

I also hope this thread may be useful as a repository for Sky+ and NTL/Telewest / V+ box owners who want to record content off their boxes in the highest possible quality.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave

Hello,

I have been speaking to a friend of mine who has a rapidly filling Sky+ box. He is looking to copy some of the programmes he wants to keep on to DVD recordable, the exact flavour (-/+R or RW doesn't matter to him) and I know from reading this forum that the optimal way of achieving this is by recording the RGB output from the Sky+ box to the DVD recorder. I have, however also read both on here and on other forums that not all RGB input DVD recorders actually record in RGB, some internally convert the signal back to composite (seriously degrading the signal), so what I'm looking for are possible DVD recorders which can not only accept an RGB input, but which actually record in RGB.

It makes absolutely no technical sense to do that, so I think that someone is under a misapprehension. Can you name the alleged machines?

The expense from the manufacturers point of view is actually providing the RGB input. Having done so , they are just not going to convert it back, given that the recording system itself is based on RGB.

It is possible that they are misinterpreting what is happening with those recorders that only have the capability to pass through RGB from one scart to another, but do not actually use RGB internally... as some VCR's used to do.
To the best of my knowledge, I know the following models work, but are not the cheapest machines out there, are there any cheaper recorders which can achieve this or other machines worth considering?

Panasonic DMR-EX77EB
Sony RDR-HXD860S

These are both good machines.

In my opinion it is not even worth considering looking to buy cheap machines with this sort of consumer product.

Look only to those makes above.... and also Pioneer.

Hi

It makes absolutely no technical sense to do that, so I think that someone is under a misapprehension. Can you name the alleged machines?

Pioneer recorders do just this, they take RGB In and convert it to S-Video (not composite though as that would be poor). Even the DV-In on Pioneer recorders is now nothing more than a daughter board that converts DV to S-Video.

Regards

Phil

Thanks for that Phil. - Extraordinary!

Hello,

Thank you all for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I have been doing some research as to other candidates, and I am continuously being pulled back to the big three manufacturers :-

Panasonic

DMR-EX75EB-S
DMR-EX85EB-S

Sony

RDR-HXD-1065

Toshiba

RD-85DT

I am definitely leaning towards recommending Panasonic and Sony, they seem to have a lot of support around here.

GavTech made a good point about RGB inputs, I also had to do a lot of reading to fully absorb the problem, that some manufacturers allowed me to input a high quality RGB signal, then internally screwed it up. I know Pioneer are an excellent company and their DVD players have a superb reputation, but I have heard from several sources that Pioneer is reconsidering it's position with regards to standard DVD and DVD Recorders, and the last thing I want to be doing is recommending a player which then loses it's factory support within a year or so.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave

I am continuously being pulled back to the big three manufacturers :-

Panasonic

DMR-EX75EB-S
DMR-EX85EB-S

Do you know if the EX27EB-S will also support RGB recording?
I have no need for HDD, as I have a Sky HD box, but would like something to back up the occasional programme from Sky, and would like to get decent quality recording.

Do you know if the EX27EB-S will also support RGB recording?
I have no need for HDD, as I have a Sky HD box, but would like something to back up the occasional programme from Sky, and would like to get decent quality recording.

Hard detailed specification information has still not been released.. but as the EZ27 is almost a direct replacement for the EZ25, which did support RGB in, it is reasonable to suppose the 27 will also.

Hi

Pioneer recorders do just this, they take RGB In and convert it to S-Video (not composite though as that would be poor). Even the DV-In on Pioneer recorders is now nothing more than a daughter board that converts DV to S-Video.

Regards

Phil

My old Pioneer 220 records in full RGB, my firiend! :smashin:

Hi

My old Pioneer 220 records in full RGB, my firiend!

Yes it will, it's only the x40 and x45 models (the recent ones) that have switched to all S-Video internally, cheaper to make especially where the same internals are being used in America where RGB doesn't exist.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil, :)

I'm thinking about getting new recorder with RGB in and out and RAM playback.

I'm after the cheapest machine possible but it must be a good brand name like Panasonic etc. What do you suggest i go for?

Also, are there hany HDD recorder's out there that allow you to transfer recording's from the recorder to a PC with a USB cable?

Also, are there hany HDD recorder's out there that allow you to transfer recording's from the recorder to a PC with a USB cable?
HDD recorders, yes, DVD/HDD recorders, no, not in the UK anyway, as far as I'm aware.

You can transfer HDD recordings via USB on the Humax 9200T and the Topfield 5800T, but they are both PVRs, not DVD recorders.

I live in hope that DVD recorder manufacturers will add provision for external HDDs, either firewire or USB would do, but so far they haven't. Perhaps it's because of the lack of DRM on standard external HDDs. If you could use them I would probably archive onto external HDDs instead of DVD-RAMs. I vaguely recollect that drive manufacturers have produced a standard that's specifically intended for attaching HDDs to consumer equipment, but the units are probably more expensive than the normal external HDDs that you attach to computers.

I'm after the cheapest machine possible but it must be a good brand name like Panasonic etc.
Panasonic, Pioneer or Sony are probably the best brands right now, so perhaps the Panasonic EX75 if you want a good brand at low cost. Just be aware of the widescreen switching issue, discussed at length in other threads, some people are concerned by it but other people aren't.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom