1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB in/outs loss?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Johndm, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Are RGB signals passed thro RGB scart connections with no loss in quality?

Reason, I'm thinking of adding a DMR-E50 to my system, bit will retain my Panny RA82 for DVD-A, so the RGB chain would be as follows,

RA82 RGB output to Digibox RGB input
    Digibox RGB output to DMR-E50 RGB input
    DMR-E50 RGB output to Telly RGB input

Thoughts anyone....

Regards

2. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No.

I'm sure that there will be a varying amount of noise introduced and signal lost depending on the quality/length of the cable and the quality of the screening used in the components that the signal is being passed through.

3. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just wondering what Digibox you have that does RGB pass through? (anyone else that wants to contribute with theirs would be more than welcome too) this would be quite handy for me as my TV only has one RGB scart. i currently have an ex-ITV digital Pioneer box but it doesn't seem to do RGB pass through (unless i have it set-up wrongly?). digital audio out would be nice too!

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Digibox is a Panny TUDSB30. My RA82 player runs RGB through it fine (My Pan TX32PF10 telly has only 1 RGB in too) But this screws up recording $ky. However I can record by sending the $ky signal back out of scart 2 or 3 down to a video.

If I get a DMR E50 and wire as this..

RA82 RGB output to Digibox RGB input
    Digibox RGB output to DMR-E50 RGB input
    DMR-E50 RGB output to Telly RGB input

Then I can record all I like on the DMR E50, and use my RA82 as a spare/DVD-A player only..:D

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well. I got an E50 last week. I am using the RGB passthrough on it for my NTL digitial.

I am fussy when it comes to quality. And I have also had a friend who knows his stuff look at it carefully with me. I tried on a number of channels with direct connection through my switch box from NTL and through pass through on the E50.

We have come to the following conclusions.

Their does not seem to be any noticable loss of quality on RGB passthrough on the E50 when it is switched off or in "Stand by" mode.

Their does seem to be a "Slight" loss of quality when the unit is on and in use watching NTL. But I mean slight.

Could this be because the RGB sockets are hard wired together and it switches to this form of connection when the unit is off ?

Or is it just interference when the unit is on or possibly running through the recording processing unit or what have you ?

Cant say for sure as I dont know enought about the unit. But loss of quality is pretty obvious on a 3 and a half foot plasma screen and I cant see any when it is in Standby mode which is what I have it in when I am watching NTL.

I use good quality 2 metre scart cables. There is also a scart switch box and RGB scart - Component converter between the E50 and my Plasma screen along with another 3 metres of quality RGB scart cable (The difficulties of wiring a load of AV gear :rolleyes: )

If any one else with an e50 and has different experience with RGB Pass through lets hear it. I can go back to direct connection from NTL digital quite easily if I felt there was a reason to. But the E50 has considerably simplified my setup. Dont have to Hardware switch between NTL and DVD now which is cool :smoke:

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Of the old boxes, only the Pace DTR735 does RGB passthrough. Of the newer ones only the Netgem and the Pace Twin.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not really noticed a significant drop in quality using pass through. Using pass through is the only way to record from sky+ in RGB and watch in RGB (using the pass through)

I have just got an S35 and considered a similar setup to Harris. However the main problem here is that if you are recording from -RAM to -R you can not watch something else on sky.

Also the S35 has lovely component outputs and you can not have RGB outputting on the scart if you are using components.

The set up I now have is

Sky+ TV -> E30 AV2 -> E30 AV1 -> TV RGB Scart

Sky+ VCR -> TV AV2 (not RGB :( )

S35 components -> TV AV4 components

S35 S-Video Scart to S-Video -> E30 S-Video AV4

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    bobbles setup is probably as good as you would get. Component is marginally better than RGB but of course you have the advantage of progressive scan if you are using a tv or projector.

But this is not neccessary for me as Plasma screens deinterlace input anyway so using a prog scan player would not really produce a noticable improvement in quality in my opinion unless I was using a really high end player .

Only problem is if you are using a Plasma screen which only has component input for the best quality and no RGB scart you have problems with connectivity.

You can do component switching but it is much much more expensive and difficult to do it properly than RGB Scart. But thats not the only problem. NTL digital does not have component output. Neither does the e50 and I would have to get component cables for my two consoles.

Thats the only real problem I have with Plasma screens. To cut the tax they have to pay on them most panels still only come with Component input in terms of high quality connectivity unless you use their tunner boxes that are totally crap.

I have NtL digital anyway so I can only watch what I am recording in any event.