rgb help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jubbly, Jul 11, 2001.

1. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a toshiba 32zd09b tv and a tos 851 vcr and a tos 210 dvd player and would appreciate some advice.

I currently have my vcr hooked up to scart 1 and my dvd player hooked up to scart 3 as this it what it recommends in the tv manual.

When i play the dvd the tv picks it up straight away, does this mean it is an RGB signal or do i have to change something to get RGB ?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    RGB must be activated in the DVDs menu and the Scart-input at the TV must be RGB-compatible.

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Normally scart 1 is RGB (it is on my tv, a JVC), i have my Tosh 210 connected to this one (set the output of the dvd player to RGB) my video is connected to Scart 2(set to SVHS) and amp to scart 3 (again svhs)

There should be a noticeable difference in quality between RGB & normal video (composite)

hope this helps
    Cheers
    Jase

4. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the av options on my tv menu's such as for av1 i think there is av and s-video so are you saying i will find the rgb option in here ? Also when you say change the dvd to rgb do you mean by using the above menu ?

Also my tv and dvd have these component video input 3 to 3 phono thingy's, should i use these intead or is it not much better than scart?

thanks
    roy

5. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Scart 1 should be factory set to pick up RGB or Composite. Scart 2 & 3 you should have the option to change between Video(composite) & S-Video.

On the dvd you have a Video Select menu, you should set this to RGB. This will output an RGB signal from the Scart socket on the back of the unit.

As you have Component video outputs on the dvd & inputs on the TV, you could use these as they are supposed to give better results than RGB (i cant confirm this as my TV doesnt have them!)

Cheers
    Jase

6. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, i have just changed my dvd to scart 1 on the tv and have changed it to rgb on my dvd menu but i don't have an option to change scart 1 on my tv to rgb, will this automatically go to rgb as i have changed it on the dvd menu ?
    Also i didn't see any difference at all when i switched between video and rgb.

7. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    The TV will automatically pickup the RGB signal.

The RGB signal should give you a sharper picture with clearer better colour.

What scart lead are you using? Is it a fully wired 21 pin one (i.e all pins connected)?

Jase

8. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    F--k knows i thought a scart was a scart, i am using the cable which came with the video that i have.
    These cables are bloody confusing, i have spent all day trying to find out what cables to use for my component video inputs and have been told by audio t just to use 3 separate rca leads but i'm not sure.

9. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    The scart lead that came with it should do the job ok.

If you want better quality cables , the Qed range are popular amongst the members of this B.B

I use The Chord Co for my cables as they´ve always given me excellent advice & service. Have a look at www.chord.co.uk if your´e interested, they can be quite expensive though (depending on the type of cable)

You can e.mail their cable doctor who will advise you on the best for your particular system.

cheers
    Jase