1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB for Xbox AND Pioneer DV-656?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kipper15, Mar 9, 2004.

1. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to think of a way of connecting both my Pioneer DVD player (DV-656A) and my Xbox to my Panasonic 32" TV, which only has two SCART sockets - one RGB + one composite.

I was wondering, the DV-656 has a second SCART socket so if I was to 'daisy-chain' the SCART cable from my Xbox through the second SCART on the DV-656, would this give me RGB output to the TV from both sources?

I'm thinking it will because both sources will connect to the TV through the RGB-capable SCART socket on the Pioneer DV-656.

Can anyone help here? Or am I talking nonsense?

I'm really hoping somebody's already done this!

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Best to try it, but I am sure it will!!
    I have a 565 which loops thru.
    Ged.

3. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ged...I think the 565 is the successor to the 656, right?

The only thing is, I won't be able to test it out for a while because most of my kit is boxed up due to a bit of re-org and decorating in the lounge. It's been suggested I buy a SCART splitter box but I don't really want to have to go that route if I can help it!

Looking at the manual for the 656, it states that the second SCART socket can only output composite video signals, but one would think it that RGB would loop through...??? what does the manual for the 565 say about the second SCART socket???

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I cannot find it at the moment, but most of my kit is bought with your problem in mind, the only single scat item is a Yamaha dvd player at the end of a long chain.
    For future reference one of the site sponsers sells a scart splitter which switches on input detection, the good bit is has slave/master priority, I think they are JS Labs ??
    Ged

5. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ged. After reading your post I downloaded the 565 manual from the Pioneer site and checked it out...it says the same thing as the manual for the 656, ie the second SCART only outputs composite.

What are you connecting to the second SCART socket on the 565? And are you definitely getting an RGB signal on your TV/monitor when using the component(s) that is/are connected to it?

I'll check the JS Labs thing out but I wanted to avoid buying yet more hardware!

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Since SCART can only send RGB one way at a time, outputting composite only on the second SCART is a strong indication of the possiblity of loop-through. The only other use of a second SCART than daisy-chaining would be connecting it to a set in a different room (which is quite pointless for a DVD player), so I can't imagine it being there for any other purpose. That of course does not necessarily mean it loops through RGB, but with even cheap VHS VCR's doing it, I'd assume a good DVD player also does.

7. kipper15

kipper15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Presumably, if this is the case with my Pioneer DVD player then I'll need to have the player switched on when I want to use the xbox? I'm thinking this must be the case because they'll be sharing the same SCART input on my TV.

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrgh....this AV stuff can get so confusing :rolleyes: :laugh:

8. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, the player probably prioritizes its own output and should be left off while the Xbox is on. If my thinking is correct and the player does have RGB loopthrough, that is. :)

9. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Firstly just try before you buy, my long chain starts with an S540 into Sky into HS2 into Pioneer 565 then AV1 of a Panasonic TV.
    I can watch or record Sky, switch on the 565 and it takes priority, the only weak link is if I choose to try and also use the S540 but this will not really happen .

10. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Forgot to say all running RGB.