1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Fans

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Sep 7, 2004.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I would really like to know how RGB proponents expect to record and watch RGB signals when std Sky boxes only have one RGB output!
    If RGB passthru (thru DVD recorder) is used to watch SKY, this degrades the signal compared to direct connection to the TV/display; when a terrestrial signal is recorded with a recorder you wouldn't be able to watch an RGB signal via passthru.
    With SKY+ you could feed svideo to a recorder (for offloading video) and still have the RGB output directly connected to the display.

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    This is the ongoing complaint about SKU boxes only outputting one RGB. As you say, you need to choose for TV or recorder to use Svideo instead, or possibly use a splitter on the single RGB output.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    ...but not by a noticeable amount if you use decent cables. On an average to medium display (upto 50") you should not notice any difference between a signal passing through a DVD recorder. Unless of course you have a Philips model which re-encodes the picture prior to putting it on screen (when on obviously). Don't use S-Video to record if you have RGB!

4. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also a lot of TVs only have one RGB scart, which exasperates the problem!

Rasczak is obviously right when he says "Don't use S-Video to record if you have RGB" but I'm not sure how many of us would notice the difference unless shown 2 pictures side by side.

Of course I use RGB because it gives me a nice feeling knowing I'm getting the best picture I can.

5. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I beg to differ with Rasczak. For each connection that is made - both video and ground/shield of scart, there is insertion loss and RF pickup (where connectors detect noise). :lesson:
    Using AV passthru introduces two more connections in the signal path, and the internal video circuitry traces inside the DVD recorder - which affect overall image clarity and depth, and colour saturation.

Even comparing a PAL(composite) feed from a SKY box into a JVC SVHS VCR against a direct PAL feed to a TV, there is a discernable loss of PQ (despite using quality OFC scarts with fully metal shielded scart plugs). :lesson:

Watching an RGB recording from SKY rather than SKY live via passthru, is the best compromise you can hope for to minimise connection losses. :thumbsup:

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree with you

I have tried rgb pass through via my XS32 and direct. I can not tell any difference what-so-ever. This is on my 42" viera.

However, I can really tell the difference between my s-vhs recordings and my rgb recordings.

I use the component out connection anyway to view sky.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Suggesting that the 'best' compromise is to use S-Video so you can watch a non-pass thru picture is riddiculous. Do you actually have a DVD recorder Stanley or are you just trying to gauge whether your talking :censored: or not?

You even mention in your original post that recording from the internal terrestial tuner was an option - if you cared about quality THAT much you wouldn't even have said that.

Bottom line is if you have decent wires then there should be no visible loss of quality between a pass thru picture and a Sky picture. I have found this is to be the case on my current 50" Plasma AND my bedroom 36" CRT - as well as various other screens I've had over the last few years.

8. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Whatever!

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Rasczak.My Sky+ passes through my dvd player to get to my tv and comparison with a direct connection shows no difference.The Sky+ s-video output goes to my DVDR/HDD as it has no RGB input,but there is a slight drop in quality with s-video recordings over RGB ones.
    Nice reasoned reply Stan

10. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to butt in, but does anyone know if the component outputs on the rd-xs32 are RGB compatible??
    I don't know what exactly this means but here is the e-mail from some guy in America I want to buy a cable from.

"If you have a DVI-I port and your component ports on the DVD are RGB compatible,
    you can get p/n DVIRCA-3. If you have a DVI-I port and your DVD component ports
    are not RGB compatible you would need p/n 9A62 and DVIVGA-3."

Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    S

11. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    There is no picture degradation when i connect my Sky through the RGB scart of my Sony RDR-GX3.. I used to have a Quintro swich box before but found I can use the DVD recorder as a pass-thru, so sold the Quintro. The only problem is that I have to leave the Recorder on to get audio while watching Sky!