RGB etc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hornydragon, Jan 12, 2002.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    As my TV has no RGB input is there any point in an RGB DVD player. If not is the panasonic RV31 any good?:confused:

2. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I read reviews where the Panasonic RV31 was marked low because of poor picture quality. Critics said this player bled too much at the character edges.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Guess I may have unsettled you a bit there dragon... sorry about that.

What make and model TV do you have? It might be quite old if it has no RGB input through a scart socket.

If so, you might think about a better DVD player that is RGB capable to go with any new TV you buy in the future, which almost certainly will have at least one RGB scart.

RGB really does give the best picture (barring component video which doesn't really enter into the discussion when it comes to budgeting), and really, DVD video is not much good without it.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I have a sony KV-21V6U. Had a look at the Pioneer DV-444K, do you think this is a better player.
    On the subject of my budget, it started out at £250 I'm now at £500 and can't go much further the DV-444K and a VSX-300 would leave about £100 pounds for Speakers and cables!!!.

My lil sis has a PS2 and using a Monster gold plated scart into an old Panasonic 24" through a Panny NV-FJ620 VIA Cambridge audio scart lead and a new AIWA 21" is very good for DVD playback. I'd be happy with that at the moment so might just buy a PS2 instead.

Hang on this is what I said 6 months ago, PS2, Yamaha RXV396RDS and Eltax Silverstones. Have I come so far as to go back??? Please say no or I could have spent 6 months on GT3 etc.:confused: :confused: :confused:

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Pioneer is a very good player as I remember. Tested one a while back when I was considering upgrading my DVD player (decided there were other things that needed seeing to first). The Pioneer DV444 can be had for £180 from HifiBitz.

If you're thinking about the Yamaha RXV396, then you might consider Yamaha's AV pack, the HTiB20 , which consists of this very receiver along with a full 5.1 sub and sat' speaker package. This can be had for £270 at Empire Direct. This is highly recommended as the perfect starter AV kit, it's like an 'All-in-One' solution, but allows for upgrading.

A perfect starter's setup for £450, including DVD, receiver, sub and speakers. The most for your money. I know pioneer and yamaha go well together because I use the same setup.

This would then give you a chance to raise money for whatever speakers might take you eye later on, while still being able to enjoy the full 5.1 surround experience in the meantime- which you would not if you only bought a pair of main speakers.

Only a suggestion of course, but it's what I would do if I were a beginner with your budget. Hope I've given you a few ideas.

BTW, the PS2 is not highly rated as a DVD player. I have one, tried it once and would never consider it again. It has problems with RGB also :rolleyes: and gives a picture tinged with green. Take a look around this forum and you'll find the same thing.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    For what it's worth, I agree with Pointon as his suggestions make good use of your budget.

I have heard the HTIB 40 (big brother to HTIB 20) and was impressed and have the Pioneer 545 (basicly the same as 444) myself.

It will blow the socks off a DAV.

As your TV won't accept RGB presumably it won't take s-video either leaving you with composite ordinaire. Start saving for a more modern TV and enjoy the full benefit of DVD. Make a start by selling your sister's setup when she is not looking.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,582
    or just sell your sister!!

8. bill1962

bill1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Is there a big differance between the kit advised above and the full pioneer package?

The HC-50S avaliable for £600 from Techtronics HC-50S

I like the look of the Yamaha's a\v pack mentioned above, so would I be better going for the SD210e and the HTiB20 setup?

Thanks,

Bill

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think I'd be too happy to pay £600 for that Pioneer setup. Good DVD choice, but you can pick this up multiregion from many places for £200. The receiver and the speakers don't look like much to justify £400, in my opinion.

I think there's something I need to say about the HTiB-20 package. I only mention it in my previous thread because 'dragon mentioned it in his. Please be aware that the Yamaha RXV369 is Dolby Digital only. It does not have a DTS decoder. I was acting under the assumption that 'dragon was aware of this.

The HTiB-40 does have DTS capabilities, but is about £100 more expensive. If you can afford the extra, it's the better package to get. I would personally choose this setup over the Pioneer package you mention bill.

I should have mentioned this beforehand, and I don't want to mislead people.

10. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the pioneer package and must say I'm very happy with it , the sub's a thumping 110 watts and more than packs a punch in gladiator and saving private ryan , i also don' t have a rgb socket as i have an old tv but it's there ready when i upgrade.
    I went for this because of lack of space under my tv as both dvd and amp are slimline and wanted an easy solution for my first kit and unlike the sony davs it can be upgraded.

11. Doc_b

Doc_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's component video (Pointon). Sorry, might be naive question but I'm new to this game.

12. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Check out this link to the Home Cinema Guide. This is a great site and it explains everything in much more clarity than my long winded approach could ever achieve.