RGB Dilemma

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by robw73, Jun 27, 2004.

1. robw73

robw73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to this. Just joined today and would like to consult your good advice!

I have an RGB problem. It comes and goes!! It doesn't want to stick around.

I have a Toshiba 32ZD09B TV with an Amstrad Digibox DRX400. (Second box from Sky as last one replaced within 6 months). Basically while watching Sky I have a perfectly good RGB signal in AV1 and then suddenly it changes to PAL, more noticeable when on the Sky services menus and then guess what without any consultation it changes back. More often after the box has been switched off. I can get up in the morning turn the set on and it's fine then after half hour or so it changes. I have changed my scarts (twice) I bought some new gold plated ones with the conventional wiring set up but I now have flat scarts, gold plated at a cost of 15.00 each yet this problem still exists. I have spoken to Sky who sent an installer and all he did was replace the box and left, I think he stayed about a couple of minutes! Wow dedication to the job - NOT!!

At one stage I assumed it could be the TV but I have been persuaded by a friend that it's more likely to be Sky. I have never had this problem before and I've had a few different boxes, Grundig, PACE and now Amstrad. The Grundig was sound. Had it fitted in May 1999 and only replaced it in December 03 as the tuner went. Gutted!!! I also have the added problem of white lines going from top to the bottom of the TV picture, I might add only while watching Sky, not on AV1 - 3 when using DVD/VCR or watching terrestrial though this seems to have improved since new scarts!!

Can anyone advise???

Thanks.

2. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you tried a different TV? Even a portable or something just to test?

3. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its either the Sky box giving out faulty control signals, or the TV not processing them. The only way to sort it is by elimination - try a different TV, if this doesn't work then you probably have a faulty box. If you have a voltmeter you could look at the control pin on the scart lead and see what it is generating. The control signals are d.c., so you only need a standard DMM to measure them.

4. robw73

robw73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I have tried another TV (Portable) but unfortunately I believe my portable is only in PAL. Not sure if there are any portables that can handle RGB presume there is I don't have one. Will keep looking for another TV source that has RGB output only problem is I have a limited time to reply to Sky if it's their box. Have upto 3 months to locate the fault.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Amstrad = poo

When you ay it switches from RGB to PAL - do you mean from RGB to composite?

If this is the issue the I reckon its the Amstrad.

6. robw73

robw73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Composite! You may be right. The only reason I asummed it was PAL is because of the Sky Service menu, option 4, option 1 and then you have a Video Output option that switches from RGB to PAL. When RGB is working and I use this option it does change to looking like composite. I have piped my DVD/VCR combi direct through AV1 and changed it from RGB output to Composite and it works everytime. Sorry to sound thick but what is the diff between Composite and PAL! It looks the same to me (a complete novice)

7. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    PAL/NTSC are european/american video standards relating to the number of lines etc in the picture.

Composite/S-Video/RGB are communication methods to send the picture to the TV.

So PAL/RGB are not related and are completely different things. Thats what what you say is a little confusing... Is it possible that Amstrad just call composite "PAL" in the menus on the box? If so then they are really not helping here!

8. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    As far as I was aware, all Sky boxes switch between RGB and 'PAL', but what they mean is Composite. It is definately confusing!

9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's a fundamental error in the Sky Digibox menu. For "PAL" read "COMP".

10. robw73

robw73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the further replies. Understand completely now. At the moment it seems to be working. It's not reverted back yet which is very strange. A friend has offered to loan me his digibox for an evening to see I can eliminate the telly from this problem. Hopefully I can though to be honest I think it probably is the Amstrad box. As soon as I can I will be dumping the Amstrad Box.

11. David T

David T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a further RGB question.

I have a Panasonic DigiBox with RGB output on the TV Scart.

Can this be used as input to an NTSC DVD Recorder through the RGB inputs?

It looks like the S-Video is already PAL encoded.

David T