RGB degrading VCR out on Pace box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by stanleyntl, Sep 6, 2004.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The std Skybox - Pace manufacture - has one RGB output and one composite, for TV and VCR.
    What I have noticed is that the composite output (VCR) is much worse when main output is set for RGB. It has more digital artefacting - shimmering and motion ghosting than when output is set for PAL.
    The box is several years old, will a new box remedy the situation.
    Also using the RGB input on a Sony widescreen, the PQ improvement was not staggering. :suicide:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Can honestly say I have never come across that observation before, interesting experiment for those people who have both directly connected to the same display.

Too many variables to say how much of an improvement RGB is compared to composite, the quality of the source hardware, the cables used and how RGB is implemented in the TV design itself.
    RGB of course will not improve low bitrate channels or those with poor encoding, it anything the sharper image will make defects stand out more. That was certainly the case with my SONY RPTV, picture looked better (to my eyes) being fed PAL via scart.

3. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I agree 100% with what you said. Everyone is dead keen on RGB - recording RGB, playing sources with RGB.
    Yet whenever I've used it on previous Sat boxes, it never looks natural to me (quality OFC grade scart leads).
    It could well be that non-Sony displays benefit more because they produce a less sharp picture.

I have used svideo from an SVHS VCR and a Pioneer DVD player, and this is better than composite signal - more natural colour and improved perspective.

I would really like to know how the RGB brigade expect to record and watch RGB signals when std Sky boxes only have one RGB output!
    If RGB passthru (thru DVD recorder) is used to watch SKY, this degrades the signal compared to direct connection to the TV/display; when a terrestrial signal is recorded with a recorder you wouldn't be able to watch an RGB signal via passthru.
    With SKY+ you could feed svideo to a recorder (for offloading video) and still have the RGB output directly connected to the display.