RGB connection

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by hitz, Jan 23, 2002.

1. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sony 32FQ75, STRDB940 receiver, 336 DVD player and NTL digi box.

I would like to loop the connection of the scarts through so i get RGB signal on DVD player and Digibox.

I have one RGB on tv - connect this to RGB on dvd player. Use the other scart socket on DVD player to connect to RGB on digibox.

Is this the way to connect it - and will i need to make any adjustments to the settings of DVD and digibox. I understand that a dvd player must support pass through of RGB in order for this to work. is this correct? How do i do this?

At the moment - i have connected the digibox to the (RGB) of TV and the dvd player is attached to scart num 2 on the TV using standard scart cables.

Do i also need to use a RGB high quality scart to get the best - and if so - which scarts do you recommend.
    I dont want to spend £50 if its only a slight improvement - but i am willing to spend if the picture and sound is far superior due to the cable.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have DVD, SKY DIGITAL and NTL DIGITAL daisy chained......

AV1 on DVD >>>> AV1 on TV....QED AV41
    AV1 on NTL >>>> AV2 on DVD...... QED SQART AV21
    AV1 on SKY >>>> AV2 on NTL..... QED SQART AV21
    AV2 on SKY >>>> VIDEO......QED SQART AV21

RGB scarts do not carry audio they only carry video (not all pins connected)..... digi box and dvd need to be connected to the amp via phonos/optical/coaxial for the audio........

http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_SCART_cables_7.html

AV41 was a slight improvement over the sqart........but it didn't make me want to upgrade the rest of them.......!!

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Connecting the Digibox via the DVD to the RGB TV input the way you describe it sounds fine and works well with my own setup (Sky). However I believe not all DVD units will work this way so you'll have to just experiment a bit!

You need to go into the setup menus of both DVD player and Digibox to select RGB output.
    Assuming the two scart leads you already have are fully wired you could try using them and then decide later whether you want to spend more money on better ones.

John

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Bob007
    (BAD ADVICE AGAIN!)
    This is NOT true and you know it, so why do you keep telling people this.

Yes I know you can get expensive ones that do not carry audio, but this is fine if you have an amp and wish to turn it on everytime you want to watch a DVD or DTV (why you would want to do this I don't know!)

For your 'normal' user a simple All 21-pin RGB SCART lead will suffice.

5. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats correct. i dont want to turn the amp on all the time - so i have had a quick look at QED AV21 - which is a fully wired scart.
    it looks like what i need - just wanted to clarify and justify paying £40 each (one for cable and one for dvd).

for £80 - i want to see a big improvement.

is there any other cables (fully wired ) that people can recommend.

thanks

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You don't have to spend that much, just make sure they're fully configured and individually screened.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You say bad advice... but NO advice was given........all i stated is HOW I HAVE MINE CONFIGURED........!!

Whats not true....................?????????????

Isn't that what i said.............

QED AV41 is about 20% better than the AV21...in picture quality...........my main viewing are movies/music (MTV) on DVD/SKY so that is when i have the amp on.........if i am watching documentaries, soaps etc i watch the feed through the video where i'm not so critical about picture and sound.........!!

Just because it is set up different to yours don't make it IT WRONG and YOU RIGHT....!!!

Buy the way the QED AV41 is an RGB only scart (video only) £50 not that expensive.........

They are just called SCARTS......all 21-pin scarts carry RGB even the simple ones at £3.99

Please explain "normal" user...........

This looks like BAD ADVICE..............!!!!!!!

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hitz,

I have mine set up the way you want and it works just fine. Check first that the second scart socket on your DVD player will accept RGB pass through as there are a few that don't.

People will argue until the cows come home over connections and for my tuppence worth I tend to pay about £20 for a fully screened and wired scart lead and believe that any more expensive and the law of diminishing returns sets in.

You will no doubt get an improvement in performance by spending £80 on a lead but you would have probably got a bigger improvement by spending £80 extra on the player in the first place.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you are telling me these leads are fine if you have an amp................ well i do and hitz does........i would want to switch mine on every time i watched a DVD (why wouldn't you want to do this i don't know)...................:confused:

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Bob007...

The advice you gave is based on your own set up which in this case is not really for your 'normal' (Average) user.
    i.e using a video only RGB SCART cable.
    Not everyone has a amp to connect to or even if they did I would imagine that most people would still want an audio connection to the TV from each device so as not having to turn on the amp all the time.

The expensive lead you mention may well make a small difference on a high end system but is a bit of an overkill for a less so set up.

Btw, £50 for a SCART lead may not be expensive to you but is to some people.

I wouldn't mind but you said that 'An RGB SCART leads does not carry audio', which simply is not true. And it is this that would confuse a newbie. You made no mention of a normal RGB SCART lead (as an option) that does carry audio and which is probably what most people on this forum use.

By all means recommend this lead, but don't define it as the ONLY way that you can connect a DVD player.

I did in fact give that very advice even though I didn't mention how much or where from.

Whilst I agree that cheap SCART leads (i.e. 3.99 as you say) are a waste of time when it comes to handling anything other than composite video, I leave it up the person to decide on how much they want to spend.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Fine, if that's the way you like it. I have no problem with that, but don't make out that it's the only way to listen to DVDs.

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB scart
    QED AV41: RGB SQART 1.0M (SCART to SCART RGB Video Only)
    For the very best quality AV systems using RGB video connection only. All unused connections are removed to maximise picture quality. Full data connection provided. No audio transmission. This cable is directional.

Fully Connected Scart which carries RGB............
    QED AV21: SQART 0.5M (Universal 21 Pin SCART to SCART)
    For all high quality AV Interconnections requiring a fully wired scart to scart cable. This cable is non directional. 24 ct gold plated surround and pin sections. Heavy duty cast alloy plug casing with durable and attractive zinc plating is designed to fit edge to edge in horizontally aligned scart sockets. Low noise audio cables ensure impeccable stereo imaging and improved sound quality. Six separate high performance video cables provide pin-sharp images, natural colours and reduced picture noise. The Sqart has fully screened conductors to eliminate signal interference.

True not eveyone has an amp...........but an amp was stated in the post........no advice was given..........it was mearly a guide to show how to link up various bit of equipment to one RGB input...!!
    regardless of what scarts i use.....(1st reason for the link)

As i said...... my main viewing is DVD/SKY that is were i want the best possible picture, and my amp is switched on when watching DVD and movies on SKY........otherwise i watch through the video....... audio comes through the TV.......don't have to have the amp on.......it's just a small sacrifice to pay for a damn good picture on movies.........

I would say mine set up is normal (average) as you put it.........
    Sony 36" ... Pioneer 636DVD...Denon amp
    The AV41 made another 20% difference compared to the AV21........all the faint noise had gone which was faintly visable with the AV21.
    £50 is expensive to me.......But we all have different ways in coping with our upgrades.......iv'e been steadily upgrading my leads for 6 months.....some will moan about a £20 cable but will buy 5 DVD's........I will buy the £50 cable and instead of buying DVD's that month i will rent a couple......a good guide is to set aside approx 10% of the systems full price for interconnects to avoid overkill.........

What are you calling a RGB scart?........fully connected (21 pins) known as a universal scarts........not RGB scarts....
    I didn't mention it directly but it was put down as a scart i use and i also put a link in so he could have a look at the range and there prices.........looks as if he has used the link as he has made reference to the AV21 (2nd reason for the link)

That is a fair comment ...........but he said he didn't want to spend £50 on a lead if it wasn't going to make much difference .........so i made reference to the lead i use........ the only thing i advised him on was if he were to buy the AV41 he would have no audio transmission.

13. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't recall me making out thats the only way to listen to DVDs .......... where were the words..... YOU CAN ONLY.......THE ONLY WAY......YOUV'E GOT TOO.....just gave an insight into how mine was connected........isn't that the idea of the forum to get different opinions on system set ups so the person has a wider choice and can gain more knowledge for themselves...............if you had posted first with your way i wouldn't have come bursting on saying it was bad advice just because it was set up different to mine..........may have been a bit difficult to understand if indeed he is a newbie it was not bad advice and the statement i made was true about the cable i refered to...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My last say on this matter....... i replied to the thread starter not you........if you have a problem with the way i right my posts tough get over it.........other folk seem to understand them.............i got this lead from a recommendation from this forum in the first place.........where were you then......!!
    Didn't know you couldn't post replies if you had above "normal" (average) equipment.........
    If i reply to a thread and the person says they are new to home cinema i will go into a bit more detail...........i'll use my own judgement on that NOT YOURS...........!!
    I would be p*ssed off if i were refered to as a newbie........who made you judge and jury...............

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Your original quote.....

"RGB scarts do not carry audio they only carry video (not all pins connected)..... digi box and dvd need to be connected to the amp via phonos/optical/coaxial for the audio........ "

So you don't think this is misleading???

15. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where i can get a online review of the SCARTS.

I have had a look at the QED and IXOS website - and narrowed it down to QED AV21 and the IXOS 141AV.

I am thinking both are fully wired.

anyone got any views on these and best prices

16. celticprince

celticprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello hitz. I looked at both of these leads, and finally decided upon the QED AV21, which at the time was cheapest at HiFiBitz (see link at top of this web page). This is a fully wired and directional lead. Performance is great in my system, and the lead is very well manufactured. Good service from HiFiBitz also. Cheers, Chris.

17. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/
    Both the cables you mention are on here ..........the AV21 is only 0.5m so make sure your equipment is not out of reach.......this is £40 but will be more if you need a longer length........the141AV IS £40 and is 1.5 m again if your equipment is close together a shorter length may be better..........the AV21 was the first upgrade i did ..........personally i don't think you can beat it well worth £40.......... you could try the the top of this page for the reviews they may have the leads you mention in there.......AV Forums Menu