RGB connection to Panasonic 37" Plasma

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Pip_UK, Feb 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic 37" PDP has RGB/Component BNC connections - G/Y, B/Pb.R/Pr.HD.VD. (is this 5 BNC inputs?)

Is there any way to run an RGB scart from an NTL Digital cable box to these connections to get an RGB picture?

The tuner box with this PDP has rgb scarts but costs an extra £500 :mad:

Cheers

Pip

2. AshF

AshF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 42" panasonic but it should be the same for yours. You can get a cable that takes RGB + composite sync from a scart connector to 4 bnc connectors. You put the RGB wires into the 3 componant inputs and the sync cable to the video in (composite). Then set the panel to RGB instead of componant and change the sync selector from HV to sync from composite. Got it? Or you could get an RGB to VGA converter from www.rgbtosvideo.com and do it that way. Any problems, mail me.

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set up a friend's Pany 42" plasma using the RGB to VGA converter and the result is stunning, so I can personally recommend it.

Simon

4. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a spare 3m scart to RGB+Composite cable that I used to use with mine (gone RGB to VGA now), if you're interested I can do you a deal on it.

Neil

5. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys ...

Have already spoken to John Simm.

How much better is the picture quality with the RGB to VGA convertor? Is it worth the extra £200? (convertor plus leads)?

I know that Sky compress their digital signal (MPEG2 presumably). I have been told that NTL compress this signal even further. Don't know if this is true but it might negate getting such a high quality connection.

Cheers,

Pip

6. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've noticed no difference in picture between direct RGB and the RGB->VGA convertor. I had to move to the VGA box as I wanted to use the component video connection for my new DVD player.

Neil

7. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil,

For someone who has only just discovered S-video and in awe at the PQ improvement, I think I will prolly be happy with the RGB connection.

Cheers,

Pip