RGB confusion

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by JohnFirewall, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JohnFirewall

JohnFirewall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am trying to connect an Xbox 360 to my LCD TV using the component cables which output YPbPr. The trouble is the TV doesn't have component RCA inputs, but the manual says it accepts RGB via Scart, and one of the AV input options is YPbPr.

Now I've connected the cables via an RGB Scart block but I'm not getting any signal on either the Scart or YPbPr input modes, however, if I switch the Xbox back to composite mode (the Scart block also accomodates the yellow composite plug) this signal will be picked up through Scart.

So I'm thinking either the TV doesn't actually accept YPbPr through Scart as the manual only mentions RGB (in which case what is the YPbPr mode for, because there's no other way to input it). Or the Scart block isn't sending the signal from the RCAs to the correct pins (all 21 are there though).

Is it feasible to dismantle an old composite Scart block and connect the correct pins to test the cables and the input?

Cheers guys.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    What TV is it ? Maybe I can get the manual online and have a look.

RGB and YPbPr are both component , but are totally different signals and not compatible at all.

Scart normally does RGB so usually wont accept the YPbPr signal. The only way to do that would be to buy a converter , which usually are not that cheap.

3. JohnFirewall

JohnFirewall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a crap one (Onn A026LID). But I got it for its range of inputs, 2+ years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting to need YPbPr at the time.

I suspect it does only accept RGB but I really don't get why it has a YPbPr option on the AV menu then. I know it's crap, but surely they can't lie!

I went down the route of getting the RGB Scart block because it looked like that was the cheapest option, but now I'll just have to get a different cable for the Xbox I suppose. I can connect it via VGA or HDMI if I really want to pay a few more £ for the better definition.

4. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Let's get the facts out of the way first :cool:

Component video is capable of supporting analogue RGB, but the primary format is analogue YPbPr.

RGB SCART is based on RGB signals (with black to white value of 16-235), but only analogue CRTs can display/map them properly. Modern flat panels convert RGB SCART signals to another format to be processed. Also, RGB SCART is SD.

HDMI on the other hand supports YCbCr, which is the digital version of the YPbPr and full RGB.

As for your set, it doesn't seems to have component video input, but it does have an HDMI port.

5. JohnFirewall

JohnFirewall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm using HDMI for my PC.

I should've just bought a VGA cable for the Xbox 360 and probably will now. I was just fooled by the YPbPr mode on the TV into thinking that it would be picked up via Scart, as there is no other way of inputing it on this set is there. The RGB Scart block seemed cheaper than buying a different cable, when in reality, I can get a 3rd party Xbox 360 VGA cable for the same price.